Honored Contributor

Added to my recipe file - sounds delicious!!! Source: Bon Appétit

Screenshot_2021-05-13-15-40-45.png

Sweet and salty, shoyu chicken is made by simmering chicken in an aromatic broth of ginger, garlic, Mr Yoshida's sauce  (or soy sauce plus brown sugar), and mirin. The word shoyu in the name refers to Japanese-style soy sauce, and the flavor of the dish as a whole is similar to that of teriyaki. Still, the “official” origins of the recipe are hard to trace. Like many dishes in Hawai’i, shoyu chicken is an amalgamation of tastes brought together by immigrants from China, Portugal,  Japan, the Philippines,  Korea, and Puerto Rico who began traveling to Hawaii to work the fruit and sugar plantations in the 1850s.

Here’s how to make shoyu chicken:

Place a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and coat the base with vegetable oil. Slice up a 2-inch piece ginger and smash 3–4 garlic cloves, then stir-fry them in the oil until they’re aromatic. (Note: More ginger equals more heat.) Add 1 cup Mr. Yoshida’s sauceor 1 cup shoyu plus ¾ cup brown sugar, 1 cup water, and ½ cup mirin to the pot, and bring the liquid to a boil. Transfer 3 lb. bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, wings, or drumsticks into the pot. When the liquid returns to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer chicken for about 30 minutes. Remove cover and simmer for another 15 minutes or until the sauce has noticeably thickened. After serving, top the chicken with chopped scallions.

Growing up, I remember eating shoyu chicken drumsticks ravenously with my hands, but there are plenty of ways to serve it. Mac salad is a classic pairing; it lends a cold, creamy texture that cuts some of the saltiness perfectly. In my family, there was always cooked white rice present to soak up the umami-rich sauce, plus a side of canned sweet corn.

This is the first time my mom’s recipe has been written down—shoyu chicken is a dish that was passed down orally—and she was actually reluctant to share it. She said it’s “too simple,” a dinner she would make when she was feeling tired or busy. But that’s exactly the point for me. Over the last year, especially as my zest for culinary experiments wanes, I’ve been making shoyu chicken more often. Each time the end result varies just a little. But it always delivers a kind of easy, homey comfort—something I can’t get enough of these days.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Super Contributor

Thanks for recipe - I'm making this tonite.  I have boneless chicken thighs and all the other ingredients in the pantry.  Sound perfect and so simple.  Only thing I'm missing is the mac salad. I always like that when we've visited Hawaii -  it's perfect together.  

Honored Contributor

@LillyBee2 wrote:

Thanks for recipe - I'm making this tonite.  I have boneless chicken thighs and all the other ingredients in the pantry.  Sound perfect and so simple.  Only thing I'm missing is the mac salad. I always like that when we've visited Hawaii -  it's perfect together.  

@LillyBee2  - num num Heart  Hope your dinner is delicious!!! Please post a review 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl  Thanks for sharing.  Sounds delicious and not difficult to make. I will give it a try and enjoy it on a serving of Jasmine rice.