Trusted Contributor

My sons LOVED tuna noodle casserole.  In fact, they would remind each other to eat slowly and savor, so that they wouldn't choke!  Memories😃

I always crushed potato chips on the top.

Honored Contributor

Another one who prefers cream of celery soup.  And I add a small can of mushroom pieces.  I like the idea of crushed potato chips as a topping.

Honored Contributor

I like Tuna Casserole but don't fix it very often.  It makes too much for just two of us and then I'm eating Tuna Casserole for a week.  But, that said, I fix mine in microwave....tuna, cooked noodles, milk, cream of mushroom soup ....sometimes I add peas and/or carrots too.  Then I melt butter, add bread crumbs and put that on top.  I like the potato chip idea as well.

Esteemed Contributor

DH loves tuna casserole so I make it for him every couple of months, usually with cream of celery soup. I like the suggestion from @Kachina624 to use green olives, and will do that next time. Crushed potato chips are great on top, and also crushed Ritz crackers mixed with melted butter. I always add a handful of frozen peas (thawed) too. If I don't feel like making the casserole, I use Stouffer's tuna casserole - it's really good IMO - very creamy. I can usually buy a couple of them on sale at my grocer's for $2/each.

Respected Contributor

Another good topping for casseroles is:

1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs

2 Tblsp. Grated Parmesan cheese

1 Tblsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

The potato chips would be great, but I cannot keep them in my house as I love them and cannot eat just a portion.......🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Re: Tuna casserole

[ Edited ]

I agree with potato chips on top BUT for another treat, put Ruffles (and ONLY Ruffles) layered IN the casserole and bake them.  Oh and don't crush them, just layer the big ones whole in it. 

I used to love that-but haven't had it in many decades! 

Honored Contributor

this is the best Tuna Noodle Casserole recipe I have ever made. Everyone  goes crazy for it.

I omit the thyme because my DH hates that spice.

6172CC43-FD7F-4F86-9468-23BD341D6B6F.jpeg0DC5E500-7612-4E64-BB71-C589E1519FF4.jpeg64282634-C983-4176-8674-20CA25ACC560.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Carmie 

That looks wonderful!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Re: Tuna casserole

[ Edited ]

I use cream of celery soup, mayo, a spoonful of FINELY chopped celery and I top it with crushed Wavy Lays, or with breadcrumbs  or occasionally with crushed French's Fried Onions. I have added tiny canned Libby's peas, about one tablespoon on occasion. I have also added a heaping tablespoon of sour cream to the soup mayo mix before. I've also added sliced black Libby's olives and a finely chopped scallion. I've also added shredded cheddar on top underneath breadcrumbs. 

Honored Contributor

Instead of peas, I'll sometimes add broccoli. A few crushed potato chips give it a nice crunch.