Valued Contributor

@happycat wrote:
I would like to know just what the chinese restuarants use. At first, I used Brags liquid amino's which is a soy sauce alternative. That wasn't good. Then I added some low sodium soy sauce. Yuck too salty. I added some sugar. It was edible, but I'll probably never try this one again.

@happycat  I know you mentioned you tried Brags Liquid Aminos; I wasn't sure if you used it solo or as an ingredient  in a sauce. I use it in a sauce, and the other ingredients "dilute" it a bit and balance the saltiness. 

This is very adapatable to your liking (or ingredients you have on hand):

1 tbsp corn starch

2 tbsp water

3 tbsp Brags Liquid Aminos (low sodium soy or Tamari can be substituted). 
1/4 c chicken broth 

1/4 c honey

1 tsp sesame oil

3 garlic cloves (minced) 

minced ginger (I use "about 1 inch nub)

pinch red pepper flakes (optional)

In a small bowl, whisk corn starch and water; set aside. Whisk remaining ingredients together, then add the corn cornstarch/water. 

* you can substitute the broth for orange juice. If I do that, then I usually use only 2 tbsp honey and 2 tbsp water. 

**Fresh garlic and ginger can easily be substituted with powder.

Occasional Contributor

My husband's parents owned a family restaurant.  On busy days the family just ordered what they wanted for dinner while the parents were working.  For many years of marriage, he enjoyed only those simple dishes like roast beef, pork, baked chicken and turkey, etc. and all with the proper condiments like apple sauce with pork, cranberries with chicken.  It took me a long time to get him used to pizza as a real meal, rather than a snack.  Over the years we ended up laughing over it a lot.  He came to enjoy different meals but it took awhile!  

Respected Contributor

@lilmissy wrote:

My husband's parents owned a family restaurant.  On busy days the family just ordered what they wanted for dinner while the parents were working.  For many years of marriage, he enjoyed only those simple dishes like roast beef, pork, baked chicken and turkey, etc. and all with the proper condiments like apple sauce with pork, cranberries with chicken.  It took me a long time to get him used to pizza as a real meal, rather than a snack.  Over the years we ended up laughing over it a lot.  He came to enjoy different meals but it took awhile!  

@lilmissy 

Oh my, I'm so sorry to have missed you. How are you??? 

My parents were also like that. It took us a long time to get them to try pizza and pasta was not even considered real food LOL.

Honored Contributor

There are many food bloggers on the internet that could help you out with recipes.

Honored Contributor

I can offer my 'old, reliable' fried rice recipe:

3 eggs

1 tsp sesame oil

1 tsp olive oil

1/2 tsp garlic powder

2 chopped green onions

3 cups cold cooked rice

1 cup diced chicken

1 cup frozen peas

2 tbsp soy sauce (I like the idea of aminos as a substitute)

Whisk eggs in a bowl with some salt and pepper.  Heat sesame and olive oil in big skilllet.  Pour eggs into skillet until set.  Flip eggs until mostly cooked, then push to side of pan.

Stir the onions and garlic powder in the center of the pan for a few seconds.  Spoon rice on top of onions and stir until unclumped and sizzling.  Stir eggs into rice.

Stir in chicken and peas.  Stir in soy sauce and cook until heated through.  

Respected Contributor

I also made a chicken stir fry.  I marinated and bar b q the  chicken,  sliced it thin, then added to a bunch of fresh veggies and simmered on stove with chicken broth and all the spices, sauces.  Made Jasmine rice on the side.   Next time, I have 2 large chicken breasts marinating in Italian dressing, and lots of seasoning,  in a zip lock freezer bag in freezer.  Ill decide if I bar b q or pan fry when I make it.  I bought a big bag of frozen stir fry veggies,  and ill make rice.   Just something easy for a change.

Yesterday was meatloaf,  and today turkey burgers with cheese, onion rings, and fries. 

Last week I made a big sauce and baked ziti.

Now what's for dinner tomorrow 🤔??

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like a lot of salt so I don't use salt and pepper until the final product and salt to taste!

If I am using a salty liquid, soy, chicken broth, canned soup, etc., I never use extra salt.

Occasional Contributor

Tiny 2, hello!  I am doing fine!  I am working 3 days a week in a boutique to keep myself busy, and with that and the house and pup and kitty, I am enjoying life.  Hope you are doing well!  I am getting back to the recipe forum now and then and glad to see it is still there!

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I can offer my 'old, reliable' fried rice recipe:

3 eggs

1 tsp sesame oil

1 tsp olive oil

1/2 tsp garlic powder

2 chopped green onions

3 cups cold cooked rice

1 cup diced chicken

1 cup frozen peas

2 tbsp soy sauce (I like the idea of aminos as a substitute)

Whisk eggs in a bowl with some salt and pepper.  Heat sesame and olive oil in big skilllet.  Pour eggs into skillet until set.  Flip eggs until mostly cooked, then push to side of pan.

Stir the onions and garlic powder in the center of the pan for a few seconds.  Spoon rice on top of onions and stir until unclumped and sizzling.  Stir eggs into rice.

Stir in chicken and peas.  Stir in soy sauce and cook until heated through.  

This sounds very goo, @deepwaterdotter and I'm going to try it.