Honored Contributor

I have been regularly been trying new recipes since I have been stuck at home. 

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat Your extra salt came from the teriyaki sauce.  Sometimes new recipes turn out and sometimes they do not.  I would say that is the fun of trying new ones, but it can be very expensive.  

I really like to cook, and DH travels all week, so I make sure to have good meals when he is home.  Most of the time they are very good, but sometimes, not so much.  As far as salt, I do cook with it, but sparingly.  I have found that stir fry is not something that I do well, so I leave that to my local Chinese restaurant.  

I think when we are trying to come up with something for dinner, especially these days, it is comforting to stay with the tried and true.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

My husband was an only child of a divorced/single mother who did not cook.  He would prefer carryout on most days, and does NOT eat leftovers. We cannot afford that either health wise or financially.  He rarely compliments my cooking, no matter what recipes I try.

When I read your post I felt sad for you.  I am married 50+ years and my husband eats leftovers, prefers to eat my cooking instead of eating out or someone else's and compliments my cooking and baking.  With your husband's background, you would think he would appreciate a wife that cooks.  I have a winner and will keep him. 🥰 Your husband doesn't appreciate you and needs a rude awakening.

Honored Contributor

Wise words @MissMadi .

I can tell if I'll like a new recipe by looking at the ingredients. Another thread mentioned how disappointing carry out can be when you know you could make it better.

Respected Contributor

@happycat Did you season your chicken aside from the teriyaki sauce?

Teriyaki & soy sauce are high in sodium, but they make food sooo tasty.

I have been trying a lot of new recipes & I love when they turn out well. I say new recipes, but I am not all that adventurous. I am pretty sure of the things that I like & the things that I don't & most new recipes fall in that category.

I don't like weird, fancy food. I don't try a lot of new recipes where they take regular good food & try to make it different with odd vegetables, nuts or cheeses. LOL

And, I am sorry that some husbands are not supportive of the hard work that you are putting into cooking. My husband is very sweet about it & always thanks me & tells me how great it is.

Sometimes we both know that he is lying, but it's nice of him.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@happycat Did you season your chicken aside from the teriyaki sauce?

Teriyaki & soy sauce are high in sodium, but they make food sooo tasty.

I have been trying a lot of new recipes & I love when they turn out well. I say new recipes, but I am not all that adventurous. I am pretty sure of the things that I like & the things that I don't & most new recipes fall in that category.

I don't like weird, fancy food. I don't try a lot of new recipes where they take regular good food & try to make it different with odd vegetables, nuts or cheeses. LOL

And, I am sorry that some husbands are not supportive of the hard work that you are putting into cooking. My husband is very sweet about it & always thanks me & tells me how great it is.

Sometimes we both know that he is lying, but it's nice of him.

I did salt and pepper the chicken before I cooked it. Maybe thats it. I also forgot to put the minced green onion in it.

My husband ate it, and said it was ok- but I don't even want to feed it to the dogs. 

Thats how much I didn't care for it. 

I think it will be awhile till I get adventurous again.

I know what you mean about both of you knowing he is lying, when he says its great, lol. 

Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I tried to make stir fried rice with chicken today, and it is too salty. Not sure if more of the sesame oil or teryaki sauce got in there than I intended or what, but yuck. I just got to thinking, seems like a lot of my new recipes don't turn out all that great here lately.

Anyone else think they might as well just make the same ole same ole? 

@happycat 

No I love exploring in the kitchen. Blue Jean Chef Meredith Laurence has great recipes. The Kitchen show on Food Network has a variety of chefs, I always find a recipe on their Saturday show. Made this Katie Lee recipe tonight, chicken parmesan cherry tomato whole clove garlic roasted one pan recipe; can find under The Kitchen online.

Esteemed Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

I tried to make stir fried rice with chicken today, and it is too salty. Not sure if more of the sesame oil or teryaki sauce got in there than I intended or what, but yuck. I just got to thinking, seems like a lot of my new recipes don't turn out all that great here lately.

@happycat 

No I love exploring in the kitchen. Blue Jean Chef Meredith Laurence has great recipes. The Kitchen show on Food Network has a variety of chefs, I always find a recipe on their Saturday show. Made this Katie Lee recipe tonight, chicken parmesan cherry tomato whole clove garlic roasted one pan recipe; can find under The Kitchen online.

I will have to check that out, @rockygems123. Sounds very good. I also enjoy the Blue Jean Chef. I subscribe to her emails, but I don't think I've ever made any of ther recipes. 

Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@rockygems123 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@happycat 

I will have to check that out, @rockygems123. Sounds very good. I also enjoy the Blue Jean Chef. I subscribe to her emails, but I don't think I've ever made any of ther recipes. 

@happycat 

Will be interested if you try any. She makes a one pan chicken breast lemon orzo spinach dish, really good. I cut back on the cream and lemon for personal preference, so good. Google it and curious what you think. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Trying new recipes

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

Instead of teryaki sauce, try low sodium soy.

Also a small amount of rice wine vinegar will help

I like to experiment, I'm on an Asian kick now as well

I would also like to add this, do you cook at all with Worcestershire sauce?   If you like it you may want to sub the Worcestershire for the teryaki or soy.