Esteemed Contributor

Trying new recipes

[ Edited ]

I tried to make stir fried rice with chicken today, and it is too salty. Not sure if more of the sesame oil or teryaki sauce got in there than I intended or what, but yuck. I just got to thinking, seems like a lot of my new recipes don't turn out all that great here lately.

Anyone else think they might as well just make the same ole same ole? 

Respected Contributor

I'm constantly looking for and trying new recipes.  I have been making the same meals for years and I tire of it.  I did have a couple of hits this past summer of new tries, which after many fails was finally nice to have.  I'm actually making a new recipe tonight, fish and chips.  Never made it before and I just told my husband I don't hold much faith in it.  Just my inner instincts kicking in and I'm usually right.  May be ordering a pizza tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat  I love my tried and true recipes, but I also like trying new recipes. My DS has traveled all over the world with his band. He sends me pics of what he's eating, and I try to make something he's discovered. Sometimes I think, gee I just won't be able to recreate this. But then, it in't always so hard. Sometimes I fail, and sometimes it's a win! You have to be in it to win it!

Honored Contributor

The salt came from your sauces, unless you used a marinade.  

Salt kills me, so I've cut way back on soy sauce which is highly salty.  I've used the low sodium, and wasn't satisfied.

Trusted Contributor

My husband was an only child of a divorced/single mother who did not cook.  He would prefer carryout on most days, and does NOT eat leftovers. We cannot afford that either health wise or financially.  He rarely compliments my cooking, no matter what recipes I try.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Salt kills me, so I've cut way back on soy sauce which is highly salty.  I've used the low sodium, and wasn't satisfied.

I would like to know just what the chinese restuarants use. At first, I used Brags liquid amino's which is a soy sauce alternative. That wasn't good. Then I added some low sodium soy sauce. Yuck too salty. I added some sugar. It was edible, but I'll probably never try this one again.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trying new recipes

[ Edited ]

none of my old recipes are turning out great, either......i'm having a lot of failures in the kitchen lately.....been in the kitchen since 1971......think it's time to turn it into a 'woman cave!'  or in my case....a 'senior lady cave!'

Esteemed Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

My husband was an only child of a divorced/single mother who did not cook.  He would prefer carryout on most days, and does NOT eat leftovers. We cannot afford that either health wise or financially.  He rarely compliments my cooking, no matter what recipes I try.

I'm sure mine would rather have carry out also, but he hates to eat out now because of covid. He doesn't even like to do carry out. Its been real fun around here. 

Sorry your husband doesn't compliment you. I bet you are a good cook. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I would like to know just what the chinese restuarants use. At first, I used Brags liquid amino's which is a soy sauce alternative. That wasn't good. Then I added some low sodium soy sauce. Yuck too salty. I added some sugar. It was edible, but I'll probably never try this one again.

@happycat You may just be too sensitive to salt.  Soy sauce is highly salty.

I would do a stir fry, and when you cover to steam, adding liquid, I would cut the soy sauce by 1/2.  

You could try Mrs Dash.  The authentic flavor of oriental comes from soy sauce, and there isn't a substitute at this time.

Spices are your friend.

Try baking chicken brushed with butter a little soy sauce, and pineapple juice.  Have pineapple on a lettuce leaf with some grated cheddar, and steamed broccoli.

Honored Contributor

Most of the new recipes I try are made up.  I fly by the seat of my pants and use what I can find in my pantry.  I do not like the taste of salt, so I use very little and everyone knows they need to add their own.

On Sunday, I made grilled fish and decided I would make a side of rice.

I cooked basmati rice in a sauce pan with vetetable broth instead of water.  I added diced raw carrots, chopped onions, a small can of mushrooms and some spices...no salt.  When the rice was almost done, I added frozen peas.  It was really tasty.

My DH added soy sauce to his at the table. Next time I make it I will make extra to stir fry it the next day in sesame or spicy oil with some chicken or shrimp and chopped broccoli and whatever I have in the veggie drawer.  I think fresh mushrooms would be better than canned, but that is what I had.

I find that store bought sauces are salty and really not all that good.  I also have to watch them for gluten.  

Most of the time, my on the fly recipes turn out good, but often I tweek and improve them over time.