Trusted Contributor

My mom made those too. You have to add eggs to bind so that they don't fall apart.

Esteemed Contributor

My Mom taught me how my Polish Grandmother made them.

I make mine from grated raw potatoes and onion. I add eggs, floiur, baking soda, pepper and salt. I drain the grated potato mixture in a colander. I cook them in an electric fry pan(so I can control the heat) at 350. The edges need to be really cooked before they are flipped.

Dad loves them plain and will eat them as soon as they are cooked. Everyone else is lucky to get any. My sister likes applesauce on them, sour cream for me.

I never had them from mashed potatoes. It sounds good also.

Super Contributor

I also grew up on "potato patties" as mom always called them. Yes she started with leftover mashed potatoes, added an egg, some flour for binding, not much) and s&p. Hers always turned out perfect. She never measured, she just knew when the mixture was right. She then fried them in oil till nicely browned. Boy those were good eats, lol.

Honored Contributor
I add one egg and a couple tablespoons of flour to the mashed potatoes, and fry in a combination of vegetable oil and butter. Sometimes I add chopped onion and green pepper, and sometimes I add grated cheese. I have also formed the patty around a small block of velveeta cheese, that gets nice and melty as the patty browns. Your skillet needs to be hot when you drop the potato pancakes in to fry; they need to cook quickly, not sit in the skillet and soak up the oil while slowly browning.
Honored Contributor

I'm going to try it! Thanks! BTW, just yesterday I ran across a small box of potato pancake mix. Anyway, it was so lightweight, and so small, and I decided not to spend the money. So, thanks for these tips!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

RedTop: Thanks! Love Velveeta Cheese! I always have some on hand in my fridge!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

We only made mashed potatoes on holidays and that was what was always leftover. I tried several times to make potato pancakes out of them but they were tasteless and fell apart so I gave up.

Honored Contributor

I make these about once a week for my husband... he loves them.

To left over home made mashed potatoes, I add 1 egg, a little flour. onions and celery sautéed in butter first, some parsley salt and pepper.

I roll them into a ball, then flatten them in a frying pan with butter and fry until they are light brown.

I think cooking the onions and celery first before mixing them in gives a wonderful flavor to the finished potato cake. I always use real butter for the best taste.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/14/2015 RedTop said: I add one egg and a couple tablespoons of flour to the mashed potatoes, and fry in a combination of vegetable oil and butter. Sometimes I add chopped onion and green pepper, and sometimes I add grated cheese. I have also formed the patty around a small block of velveeta cheese, that gets nice and melty as the patty browns. Your skillet needs to be hot when you drop the potato pancakes in to fry; they need to cook quickly, not sit in the skillet and soak up the oil while slowly browning.

Oh yes Redtop, you got it. They have to cook hot and fast, in plenty of oil. My mother used to make them in a deep cast iron skillet.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

Can these be made from frozen homemade mashed potatoes?