Honored Contributor
On 3/15/2015 Katey1261 said:

Can these be made from frozen homemade mashed potatoes?

I have never found that homemade mashed potatoes freeze very well. When they thaw they are watery and not appealing.

Trusted Contributor

I have been looking at videos for these mashed potato pancakes and this is different. I may try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AZ5jo3y7V4

Frequent Contributor

Could it be that mine never fell apart because they were made from ICE cold mashed potatoes? They were hard to mix but stuck together very well. Mixed cheese in and rolled in bread crumb, no egg and just put in hot oil in pan. Oh and you have to yell in Italian and chase someone with the wooden spoon! That is how my grandma did it! LOL

Respected Contributor

Or, mix them and then re-refrigerate them till very very cold before cooking?

Trusted Contributor

I didn't have issues with them falling apart. Just kind of bland and I added grated onion, salt and pepper.

Trusted Contributor

What do you use to amp up the flavor?

Honored Contributor
In my world, a potato pancake from leftover mashed potatoes is not exactly a tickler of the taste buds, it is just a way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. My family just happens to like them, and we like them thin, not thick, fried in very hot oil so they get crisp and brown on the outside. My Jewish friend gave me her recipe for latkes, and I'll take one of my potato pancakes any day.
Super Contributor

My dad made the BEST potato pancakes! He would put an egg, milk, Italian style breadcrumbs and potatoes in a bowl and mix, mash and stir until they were smooth and soft. He'd get a griddle heated up with oil and it would have to be HOT HOT HOT before he'd drop the pancakes on it. He'd cook them until the first side was crispy golden brown then flip for the other side.
There was nothing like them - and I miss them (and him). {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

My Mom used to make these potato-ish pancake things when I was a kid. I'm really not sure what they were but I wish I could figure it out.

As I recall they sort of had the look/texture of an English muffin but she fried them in a frying pan. Corn meal pancakes of some sort maybe.

Gosh, I wish I had paid more attention when I was a kid. I miss her so.

Honored Contributor
On 3/23/2015 Katey1261 said:

What do you use to amp up the flavor?

Depending on how much you are making, a small chicken broth cube will add zest to anything.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986