4 c. elbow macaroni 
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. red wine or distilled vinegar 
3 tsp. sugar, more or less to taste
1/4 tsp. salt, more to taste

Plenty of black pepper

1/4 c. milk (more if needed)

Splash of pickle juice, more to taste

3 whole roasted red peppers, more to taste (can also use pimentos)
1/2 c. black olives, finely chopped
6 sweet/spicy pickle slices, diced (about 1/2 cup diced)
3 green onions, sliced (white and dark green parts)

Directions

1. Cook the macaroni in lightly salted water according to the package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Set aside.
  2. Mix together the mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Splash in enough milk to make it pourable. Splash in pickle juice for extra flavor. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
  3. Place the cooled macaroni in a large bowl and pour in 3/4 of the dressing. Toss and add more dressing if you'd like. (The dressing will seem a little thin, but it will thicken up as the salad chills.)
  4. Stir in the roasted red peppers (or pimentos), olives, pickles, and green onions. Add more of any ingredient if you'd like more stuff going on! At the end, splash in a little more pickle juice and stir.
  5. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Sprinkle with sliced green onions to serve!
~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

@LoveMyBaby 

Nice recipes because less is more and "macaroni" is the star of macaroni salad.

Esteemed Contributor

I use cavittipepe pasta (hope I spelled that right) and the original recipe from Hellman's mayo. It is absolutely the best. IMHO 

Respected Contributor

Guess I'm in the minority.  I like macaroni salad to serve as more of a meal, so always add some sort of protein - chicken, turkey, ham, tuna, shrimp, various cheese, etc.

My all time favorite is allrecipes "Antipasto Pasta Salad" with Genoa salami, asiago cheese, veggies with a balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing.

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

Love it too, and I make it just like my potato salad, substituting the potato or pasta whichever we're feeling. 

Macaroni, small shells, or farfalle (el dente).

Chopped celery 

Hellman's mayo.

S & P

Thats it. 🧡

@LoveMyBaby  - this  was my mom's potato salad recipe, minus the celery. It was always potatoes, chopped onion, Hellman's mayo, and salt and pepper. She cooked the potatoes in the skins and when they were done, she ran cold water over them so they could be peeled which was so easy. When she was done mixing everything up, the spoon was full of warm mashed potatoes with the mayo mixture. YUMMY!!!!!

Now I want to make that tonight so badly. I haven't eaten potato salad in ages. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett