Honored Contributor

My New Favorite Recipe for Pickled Jalapenos,

[ Edited ]

This recipe is easy, and delicious.  It is a refrigerator recipe, so you can't keep out of fridge.  It is ready in a few hours, as long as they are chilled.  But best next day, lasts in fridge 2 weeks.  Mine don't  last that long, so no worries for me!  The sugar in the recipe regulates heat they say.  I have never used more than 1 T, but recipe does call for up to 3T.  These taste like nacho jalapenos, but better.  I had organic fresh oregano I dehydrated, so I used that.

makes 1 wide mouth PINT jar 

slice about 13 Jalapenos.  Mine are at least 2 " long .  Slice not too thin, cold rinse in colander.  You can toss seeds that fall to bottom if you like,  pat dry.  Set aside.

in medium pot on stove  put

3/4 cup white vinegar

3/4 cup  bottled or filtered water

1-3 T white sugar

1T kosher salt

2-4 clove garlic,peeled and slightly crushed I use 4.(..but I am from the Garlic Capital!)

1/2 teaspoon oregano

bring brine to a boil, make sure sugar and salt are disolved, remove from heat, immediately add jalapeños,  stir now and then to make sure jalapenos are under brine.  Let sit 8-10 mins...no more

they get that olive color.

use slotted spoon to ladle and pack jalapenos lightly into jar.  Cover with brine up to 1/4 inch from jar brim.  Let cool on counter.  I can assure you your cat will not try.  Lol

when cooled, place lid on jar...set in fridge,

these are crisp, flavorful, and not too hot   The brine and sugar can tame some extremely hot ones a bit

Respected Contributor

Re: My New Favorite Recipe for Pickled Jalapenos,

Sound tasty. Tell me, never had or heard of pickled jalapenos. I do love peppers and pickled "stuff". What do you do with these?

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate   I was thrown off by the pickle name as well.  They are nacho  slices to me.  Just like those nacho jalapeno peppers you get on an order of nachos .  But these are better and more crisp.  My husband eats them on side with sandwiches, and tacos. i like them in a sandwich that has cheese.  They are sliced, japapeno peppers that are preserved in a brine like pickles.  The brine is different though.  I had extra brine one time and I added sliced cucumbers from the garden ,in left over jalapeno brine  oh my  made spicey sliced pickles

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Sound tasty. Tell me, never had or heard of pickled jalapenos. I do love peppers and pickled "stuff". What do you do with these?

@ahoymate  You ain't from around here are you? You put slices on tacos, nachos, any Mexican dish, sandwiches, a cracker with a slice of cheese and a pickled pepper slice, in a Bloody Mary on the pick, chopped up in dips, etc. 

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty  Looks good. We like pickled Jalapeños on our hamburgers. 

Honored Contributor

I also like them on crackers with peanut butter.

Honored Contributor

My daughter just used some tonight  she made a chedder cheese stuffed mushroom with the jalapeno on top