Respected Contributor

I just use elbow macaroni, diced carrot, diced celery, diced onion and Hellman's light mayo, salt and pepper to taste.  I don't measure.  I make what we like and what we'll eat.  My Mom and Grandma made it this way.

Esteemed Contributor

Too all the previously mentioned - at the end - add can(s) of tiny shrimps or buy bag of larger shrimps - cut in half or thirds.   Chicken - tuna = whatever you like.

Honored Contributor

Mine is really easy - box of favorite mac style and a bottle of creamy Italian dressing.  If you use rotelli - a jar of pesto and some olive oil is good.

You can jazz it up with chopped olives or tuna or chopped peppers, whatever you like.  But - it's good just with the pasta and dressing.

Honored Contributor

BASIC MACARONI SALAD

1 pound small elbow pasta

1-1/2 cups mayo

1 T Dijon mustard

2 T white wine vinegar

1-1/2 t dry mustard

salt and pepper to taste

3-4 green onions, sliced

3 celery ribs, diced

3/4 cup sliced black olives, well drained

1 red bell pepper, diced

1 handful Italian parsley, finely chopped

Cook macaroni according to instructions.  Drain,  Rinse to cool and let dry.

Mix together mayo, Dijon, vinegar, dry mustard and s/p until blended.  Add to pasta and toss to combine.

Toss remaining ingredients with dressed pasta. 

You can go on from there and add anything you like - shrimp, tuna, artichoke hearts, salami, etc.

I always add a garnish to the bowl such as sliced hard boiled eggs, tomato wedges or avocado slices. 

Honored Contributor

I've made this recipe for years and years without complaint.  It tastes best after sitting in the refrigerator overnight:

4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

1 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup sugar

2 1/2 tbsp mustard

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 big onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed

Cook macaroni in boiling salted water until al dente (I set the timer for 8 minutes).  Rinse under cold water and drain.

Stir mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper in big bowl.  Stir in onion, celery, green pepper, peas, and macaroni.      

Trusted Contributor

My recipe is pretty basic, but that's the way we like it:

Macaroni, chopped celery, onions and radishes, only Hellman's mayo (never ever that Miracle Whip stuff, blech!), and about a tablespoon or so of dill weed for really nice flavor.  Sometimes I might add diced green pepper if I have it on hand.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Macaroni salad

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I just use elbow macaroni, diced carrot, diced celery, diced onion and Hellman's light mayo, salt and pepper to taste.  I don't measure.  I make what we like and what we'll eat.  My Mom and Grandma made it this way.

———————

This is very similar to what I do except red pepper instead of celery, the onion has to be red and the mayo Kraft light 😀 with lemon juice and fresh ground pepper. I use the same dressing combination for tuna/chicken salad. DH loves this and describes it as “dry”, which sounds bad LOL, but he means it’s not swimming in dressing like you would get at the deli.

Honored Contributor
My family wants macaroni salad with tomatoes, green peppers, raw jalapeno peppers, onions, grated carrots, cucumber, grated or cubed colby cheese, sweet salad cubes, and a dressing of Hellmans, garlic, sugar and white vinegar.
Honored Contributor

Noticed some people add cubed cheese. My mom never did that, but after having a wonderful ham and cheese macaroni salad, I started adding cheese cubes to my tuna salad.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

Here is a link to my post of potato-Mac salad.  I know you mentioned macaroni (solo) salad, but this is super duper good, too!

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/Are-you-going-to-the-beach-this-weekend/td-p/6261137/pag...

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.