Honored Contributor

Ah, nothing like a cool refreshing drink on a hot summer day . . . Smiley Happy

Ok my recipe friends, as we are coming up on 4th of July celebrations, let's share our favorite recipes and maybe give someone a great idea for their upcoming cookouts and get togethers!

HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe. At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose. If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe. That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient. The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient. Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there. Thanks to @GenXmuse   who gave us our next ingredient:

Low Carb Chicken Sausage and Vegetable Skillet D5D87903-7A58-4CC6-A6CA-1EB16A4D292F.pngINGREDIENTS

• 3 tablespoons butter or olive
  • 5 chicken sausage links, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small red onion, cut into large chunks
  • 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into moons
  • 1 small summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced into moons
  • 1 small red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
  • 1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into large chunks
  • 6 cremini mushrooms, quartered
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning 
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • salt and black pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter

2. Add the chicken sausage, garlic and onion to the skillet and saute for 10 minute

3. Add zucchini, squash, bell peppers, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to the pan and saute for an additional 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.

Next Ingredient: BLUEBERRIES 

Honored Contributor

BLUEBERRY Croissant Puff

3 large croissants, cut up (about 5-5 1/2 cups)

1 cup fresh or frozen BLUEBERRIES

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

2/3 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place croissant pieces in a 9" square pan. Sprinkle with BLUEBERRIES.  Beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla with electric mixer until well blended. Gradually add milk; combine well.  Pour evenly over croissant pieces and BLUEBERRIES. Let stand 20 minutes.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until set in center and golden brown.  Cover with foil the last 10 minutes if tops are getting too brown.  Serve warm sprinkled with powdered sugar.

(Recipe easy to double and put in 9x13" pan.)

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... CELERY

Respected Contributor

Re: JULY 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Very Good Stuffed Celery

Ingredients

• 4 - 5 stalks celery - washed and dried
  • 1 8 oz cream cheese - softened
  • 1/4 cup bacon - chopped
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese - grated
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley - chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh chives - chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
  • 3 dashes hot sauce

Instructions

1. Cut celery stalks in half and set aside. Using a food processor or hand held mixer, whip the cream cheese until smooth. Add in bacon, cheese, parsley, chives, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Pulse or blend until all ingredients are combined. 
  2. Using a small spoon, fill the celery "boat" with cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with addition chives and bacon if desired. Serve immediately.

Respected Contributor

Re: JULY 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Next recipe:  Canned Salmon

Honored Contributor

Dear @KatieB ,

I hate celery.  I avoid it at all costs.  I am going to try your recipe it looks that good.

Thank you for helping me see the light,

mtc

Smiley Very Happy

Next Ingredient:  Canned Salmon

Valued Contributor

Salmon Patty Recipe (from Well Plated)

Ingredients

•  1 large egg
  •  1 (15-ounce) can salmon — drained (wild caught if possible)
  •  1/2 cup Italian seasoned dry whole wheat bread crumbs
  •  1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt — or sour cream
  •  1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  •  1 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice
  •  1 teaspoon onion powder
  •  1 teaspoon garlic powder
  •  1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  •  2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley — plus additional for serving
  •  1–2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil — for cooking the patties
  • Instructions
      1. In the bottom of a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the drained salmon to the bowl. Add the bread crumbs, Greek yogurt, Dijon, white vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne. With a fork, lightly mix to combine, breaking apart the salmon further. Gently stir in the parsley.

2. Scoop the mixture by 1/3 cupfuls and shape into 6 patties that are about a 1/2 inch thick. Arrange on a plate.

In a large cast-iron or similar sturdy-bottomed skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium. Swirl to coat. Brown the patties on both sides, until the outsides are very deep golden brown and the patties are cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes total. When flipping the patties, be very gentle and use a long, flexible spatula, such as a fish spatula. Enjoy immediately, topped with Greek yogurt, a squeeze of lemon, and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.

Next ingredient is Greek Yogurt

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Dear @KatieB ,

I hate celery.  I avoid it at all costs.  I am going to try your recipe it looks that good.

Thank you for helping me see the light,

mtc

Smiley Very Happy

Next Ingredient:  Canned Salmon

@momtochloe    They are very tasty and here's a pic too...

celery-boats3-wm2-768x990.jpg

Respected Contributor

SALMON Zucchini Burgers

2 eggs beaten, 2 cups CANNED SALMON, 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeeze as much moisture as you can out of it, 6 scallion, 1/2 cup bread crumbs or Ritz crackers, 2 tbsp chopped dill, 1/2 tsp of each, salt and pepper, sweet relish (as much or as little as you like), lemon pepper, about a small handful of chicken seasoning, bread crumbs for coating each burger, about 1 cup. I use panko crumbs that I season or sometimes I use crushed potato chips. 

Mix all the ingredients together, except the bread crumbs for coating. Form burgers and put in the frig for at least an hour. Take out and dip each burger in the coating bread crumbs. Fry the burgers in oil or butter for about 5 minutes on each side.

Serve with Tarter Sauce: 1/4 cup mayo, 2 tbsp relish, 1 tbsp horseradish, touch of lemon juice.

NEXT INGREDIENT: APRICOT JAM

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor
Apricot Glazed Chicken 

serves 4-5

recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

• 6 boneless/skinless chicken thighs
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 jar (13 ounces) apricot jam
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon hot mustard
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 425F. Rinse chicken thighs; pat dry, and transfer to a baking dish. Season well with salt and pepper; set aside.

Bring jam, honey, mustard, soy sauce and garlic to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until thickened and reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Spoon apricot mixture over chicken thighs, spreading with back of spoon to coat evenly.

Bake chicken, basting with sauce from bottom of dish every 10 minutes, until juices run clear when chicken is pricked with a fork, about 40-45 minutes.

486D7CCB-3D14-4F44-A7A6-97805FB5615A.jpeg

Next Ingredient: Red Wine Vinegar

Honored Contributor

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 7.13.59 AM.png

Lemon Herb Mediterranean Salad

recipe courtesy of Yummly

Ingredients
Marinade/Dressing:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • juice of 1 lemon (1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice)
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 2 teaspoons garlic , minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • cracked pepper , to taste
  • 1 pound (500 g) skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets (or chicken breasts)
Salad:
  • 4 cups Romaine (or Cos) lettuce leaves, washed and dried
  • 1 large cucumber diced
  • 2 Roma tomatoes diced
  • 1 red onion sliced
  • 1 avocado sliced
  • 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives (or black olives), sliced (optional)
  • Lemon wedges to serve
Instructions
  • Whisk together all of the marinade/dressing ingredients in a large jug. Pour out half of the marinade into a large, shallow dish. Refrigerate the remaining marinade to use as the dressing later.
  • Add the chicken to the marinade in the bowl; marinade chicken for 15-30 minutes (or up to two hours in the refrigerator if time allows). While waiting for the chicken, prepare all of the salad ingredients and mix in a large salad bowl.
  • Once chicken is ready, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a grill pan or a grill plate over medium-high heat. Grill chicken on both sides until browned and completely cooked through.
  • Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes; slice and arrange over salad. Drizzle salad with the remaining UNTOUCHED dressing. Serve with lemon wedges.
Notes
Add 1/2 cup crumbled feta to give the salad an even better flavour!
Nutrition
Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 271mg | Potassium: 385mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 94.9% | Vitamin C: 22.3% | Calcium: 8.4% | Iron: 15.6%

I'm thinking of trying this one for my upcoming ladies luncheon.
Next ingredient:  butter
~ house cat ~