Joy of Cooking, 1975, page 301         4 servings

Featured Ingredient:  CORN

Seed, remove membranes and chop:

1/4 cup green pepper

Skin and chop:

1 small onion

Melt:

2 Tbsp. butter

Saute the vegetables in the butter until transluscent.  Heat in the top of a double boiler:

1 cup drained canned or fresh cooked tomatoes

Add the sauteed vegetables and:

1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper and a few grains of cayenne

Cook and stir these ingredients over--not in--boiling water about five minutes.  Add:

2/3 cup of cooked corn

Heat 2 minutes longer.  Stir in until melted:

1 and 1/3 cups shredded cheese

I use the diced petite can of Hunt's tomatoes for this if I don't have any fresh.  

As is, this recipe is a bit on the bland side for today's taste so I also add an 1/8 tsp. of crushed caraway seed if I use Swiss cheese or an 1/8 tsp. of crushed celery seed if I use Chedder or Parmesan cheese.

Sometimes I'll add a no salt seasoning mix like Penzey's Northwoods to liven it up.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  WINE or OTHER SPIRITS  

Honored Contributor
PORK LOIN WITH WINE AND HERB GRAVY
This is delicious! Have made it several times!

Pork loin (or tenderloins) cooked on the stove-top with wine and herbs, then sliced and served with a delicious, lightly creamy gravy. If using a pork loin roast, look for one with a little bit of fat. For pork tenderloins, be sure to trim the silverskin before cooking.
INGREDIENTS
  • 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
  • 5 cloves garlic peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
  • 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaveschopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh sage leavesroughly chopped
  • 2 lb center cut, boneless pork loin roast *see notes
  • 1 1/4 cups dry white wine(plus a bit more to deglaze pan)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (or a lighter cream mixed with 2 tsp. cornstarch)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven (or similar, heavy-bottomed pan) over medium-high heat.  Saute the pork for about 5 minutes on each side, then remove it to a plate. In the same pan over medium heat, saute the garlic, rosemary and sage, stirring, for about one minute.  Add the wine to the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook the wine until the smell of the alcohol has disappeared, about 1 to 2 minutes.

2. Lower the heat under the pan to low-medium heat. Return the pork to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Partially cover with a lid and cook for about 1 1/2 hours (considerably less if you're using pork tenderloins instead. Rely on a thermometer to check for doneness), flipping the pork and scraping the bottom of the pan every 20 minutes or so. Keep an eye on it, making sure there continues to be some liquid in the pan. Add 1/4 cup of warm water if necessary.

3. When the pork is cooked through (ideally, you want to test with a thermometer, it should be about 140°F internal temperature.) Remove pork to a cutting board to rest and cover with loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil to help retain the heat while it rests. 

4. Meanwhile, increase the heat under the liquid in the pan to medium. If your pan has little liquid, deglaze with a splash of white wine. Stir well to loosen the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Allow to cook until the alcohol smell disappears (about 1-2 minutes). Add the chicken stock and stir to combine. Heat over medium heat a few minutes, to allow the chicken stock to heat through a bit. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the cream. Heat gently over medium-low heat, stirring the sauce constantly, until it thickens a bit and is warmed through. Avoid vigorously boiling. A gentle simmer is fine. (*If your sauce doesn't thicken up, mix 2 Tbsp. cornstarch with 2 Tbsp. water and add a bit at a time to your sauce until it thickens to your liking.) Taste sauce and add salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.

5. When the sauce is ready, slice the pork very thinly and place on to a serving platter. Pour the warm gravy over-top to serve.

RECIPE NOTES

Note that this recipe is best made with a pork loin roast, not a pork tenderloin. Pork tenderloins are considerably thinner and cook much more quickly. As such, you won't get the benefit of the low and slow cooking or the flavours that comes from cooking a larger roast.

E0D5F109-EDA4-4113-A3E5-F5850C6DB6A6.jpeg

Next Ingredient: JAR OF ALFREDO SAUCE

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse   Wow!  Just wow!  Simply reading this recipe made me salivate; my Significant Other just loves pork--it is his favorite--so I believe I now have a wonderful Sunday dinner awaiting him.  And the gravy will captivate him, too.  He loves gravy with his meat.

Thank you so very much.

Next Ingredient:  JAR OF ALFREDO SAUCE

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@GenXmuse   Wow!  Just wow!  Simply reading this recipe made me salivate; my Significant Other just loves pork--it is his favorite--so I believe I now have a wonderful Sunday dinner awaiting him.  And the gravy will captivate him, too.  He loves gravy with his meat.

Thank you so very much.

Next Ingredient:  JAR OF ALFREDO SAUCE

Thank you so much! It’s pretty easy and taste like you’ve spent all day cooking. I really hope you and your SO will enjoy it. So glad you’ll try It!

Esteemed Contributor
@Bonanzajellybean OMG this pork recipe looks amazing. Thank you so much can’t wait to make it.
Next ingredient JAR ALFREDO SAUCE
Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:
@Bonanzajellybean OMG this pork recipe looks amazing. Thank you so much can’t wait to make it.

You are so welcome. I really hope you get a chance to try it! 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse 

That pork recipe looks fantastic!  Also, thank you for choosing the Alfredo sauce - I found something that even my pasta hating husband shoud like.  He likes ravioli and tortellini. I think I'll put this one on my menu for next week.

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 4.19.18 PM.png

Tuscan Pasta with Tomato-Basil Cream

How to Make It
Step 1

Prepare pasta according to package directions.

Step 2

Meanwhile, pour Alfredo sauce into a medium saucepan. Pour wine into sauce jar; cover tightly, and shake well. Stir wine mixture into saucepan. Stir in chopped tomatoes and 1/2 cup chopped basil, and cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Toss with pasta, and top evenly with 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Garnish, if desired.

Step 3

*1 (13-oz.) package three-cheese tortellini may be substituted.

Step 4

**1 (5-oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, fully drained, may be substituted.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  GRAVY or SEASONING PACKETS

(ANY KIND)

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Thank you @house_cat and thanks for the recipe using Alfredo sauce. I have a jar and wasn’t sure what to do with it!

My husband was stationed in Germany and loved eating jagerschnitzel in the gasthaus’. Little does he know how easy this is to make. 

Jagerschnitzel

Ingredients:

The Schnitzel:

4 x 1-inch thick pork loin roast slices (or chicken breast)
1/2 Cup Flour
2 eggs
Salt and pepper
oil and butter.

The Gravy:

2 brown gravy mixes
1 1/2 lbs fresh sliced mushrooms
2 Tablespoons butter

Instructions:

1. Mix gravy mixes according to package directions. In a pan, brown the mushrooms in butter. Add the gravy and keep warm. You can also add some onion. 

2. Slice the pork loin into 1″ thick slices. Pound between plastic wrap to thin out meat.

3. Dip the pork slices in egg, then dip into flour (You can season the flour with salt and pepper if you wish).

4. Heat a skillet pan with a mixture of oil and butter. Approximately 2 tablespoons of each. You may need more or less, depending on how big your schnitzels are. When the pan is hot, add the pork and brown on both sides until cooked through. ** You may have to do this in batches if you have a lot of pork. If so, pop the cooked pieces in the oven on a low setting to keep warm whilst you cook the remainder.

5. Serve over pasta, mashed potatoes, spaetzle or whatever your family enjoys! 

32710608-53DD-42E4-B13E-BB9B9568BB8B.jpeg

Next Ingredient: PECANS

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse 

OMG! You guys are killing me with these recipes!  My husband is having dental work and has to eat soft foods for some time still... I'm taking notes and waiting to make all this stuff!

NEXT INGREDIENT: PECANS

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

PECAN Pie Bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

Mix together:   1 cup melted butter (2 sticks)

2 cups flour

1 cup light brown sugar

Put into a greased 9x13" pan and bake for 15 minutes.  Let cool.   Leave oven on at 350.

Mix together:    4 lightly beaten eggs

1/4 cup flour

3 cups dark brown sugar

1 cup coconut

2 cups chopped PECANS

1 teaspoon salt

Spread over cooled crust and bake 40-45 minutes.  If desired, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar while warm.  Cool and cut into bars.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... PASTA ....any variety in hot or

cold recipe