Respected Contributor

Diet/Diabetic KEY LIME PIE

[ Edited ]

I originally posted this recipe about 4 or 5 years ago, but I made it today and thought it was worthy of posting it again for those who want a refreshingly light but no guilt key lime pie.  It's perfect for these dog days of heat and humidity. 

My daughter is a type 1 diabetic and always on the lookout for diabetic friendly recipes.  She's been making this Key Lime Pie, and everyone who tastes it loves it!  It's the perfect time of the year to share it with you all...Cat Happy  (p.s.) Once you've tried this, you can swap the sugar-free jello flavors and yogurts and make many delicious other pies..such as orange cream, lemon or tropical flavors)  It's such a refreshing pie without all the guilt.

Diet/Diabetic *Key Lime Pie*

1 package sugar-free lime jello 

1/4 cup boiling water

2 cartons (about 6 oz size.) Key lime yogurt (greek style is best as it's creamy.  My daughter uses the lite greek yogurt for less calories and sugar but you can use regular if you want.

1 8oz frozen fat free or sugar free whipped topping, thawed 

1/2 lime, zested.. AND the juice squeezed from the 1/2 lime

Dissolve jello in the boiling water whisking for about 1-2 minutes until completely dissolved.  In a large bowl, mix the yogurt with the dissolved jello and then add the lime zest, lime juice and fold in the  thawed whipped topping.  Mix until incorporated.  Pour into the graham cracker pie crust.  Chill at least 2 hours or overnight.  

Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Valued Contributor

Re: Diet/Diabetic KEY LIME PIE

I have been making this for many years.  I got it as a WW recipe.  The funniest thing is that nothing could possibly be easier -- and every time I make it for somebody -- they absolutely rave!  

Respected Contributor

Thanks for sharing...I don't have diabetes but this sound like a really healthy recipe!

Trusted Contributor

I'm a FL girl, and for many years, homemade key lime pie was a specialty of mine. This recipe sounds intriguing, and I am open to trying it. I would use actual key limes and I do avoid whipped toppping. I need to research a natural replacement for that.

Regular Contributor

Hi! My sister makes this a lot. It is a WW recipes. She has used a lot of flavors. The black cherry is my favorite!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Sounds refreshing!  Could you tell me if it is a small or large package of lime jello?

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@KrissyE wrote:

Hi! My sister makes this a lot. It is a WW recipes. She has used a lot of flavors. The black cherry is my favorite!!!!!

@KrissyE I'm a WW member, would you happen to know how many servings and points your sister gets from the pie?TIA

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella  would you plase copy and paste this recipe to my diabetes thread in wellness. I am sure the readers would love it ,and they might not read tthe recipe board? Thanks

Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

Sounds refreshing!  Could you tell me if it is a small or large package of lime jello?

Thanks!

Small package of sugar free lime jello (or any flavor)

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@ciao_bella  would you plase copy and paste this recipe to my diabetes thread in wellness. I am sure the readers would love it ,and they might not read tthe recipe board? Thanks

Just posted it to your Wellness thread.  I'm sure many will enjoy it..Smiley Happy