Esteemed Contributor

I still make my memere's recipe.   Change it up?  Forget about it, my kids would disown me, LOL!    Mine is just toasted white bread, onions and celery leaves ground up with butter, salt, pepper, oregano, parsley and bells seasoning. 

Trusted Contributor

Brownberry Sage and Onion Cubed Stuffing (12 oz.) - Sam's Club

Best Stuffing ever, directions on the back of the bag.  Found by the bread isle. 

Respected Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

Brownberry Sage and Onion Cubed Stuffing (12 oz.) - Sam's Club

Best Stuffing ever, directions on the back of the bag.  Found by the bread isle. 

@deb5555   

Boy those flavors do sound good.  I don't remember seeing that brand in my local Harris-Teeter or Lowes Foods or Food Lion in my area.  What grocery store did you find this at?

Respected Contributor

Re: Dressing/stuffing

[ Edited ]

I always add beaten eggs and chicken stock to my dressing. Binder. I don't like mine crumbley.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wrote my own recipe years ago but haven't made it for a few years, so I had to look.   I would use one or two eggs and, no, you would never know they were in there.   Eggs gross me out, so no way would I be making it an egg-based dish.   Smiley Happy

I also make my own croutons out of sourdough.  I buy a nice fresh loaf of SF sourdough (unsliced!) and I slice and cube it up.  Then I gently put the cubes in a gallon size ziplock baggie into which I add some olive oil, herbs, s&p, and then close the bag with a lot of air in it so I can shake it up between my hands, kind of like a balloon.  Then I toast them in the oven and let them completely cool before mixing everything up.

I also use some sausage and wild rice.   It's a whole thing and takes some time but it's always been  very nice.   I'm not doing it again this year due to severe limitations.   I will miss it.   I don't 'stuff' because that always grossed me out.

Oh yeah, while I'm on 'gross' Smiley Very Happy I also take those eggs and break them into a small bowl so I can take out that gross white thing.  That's just icky.  I even have that cool little tool that makes that easier.  I've actually seen food where, even after it's baked, you can see those white things.  Smiley Surprised   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@denisemb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a wonderful recipe I make in a slow cooker that contains eggs.  They thicken and bind but are not detectable.   You'd never know they were there.

Kachina624 - could you post ypour recipe so I can see how it compares to my slow cooker recipe?  Thanks in advance.

@denisemb.  Here is my recipe as written.  If I'm making it to go with a turkey dinner, I eliminate the chicken.  I add much more dry stuffing mix than the recipe calls for, increasing the broth, and a little more seasoning.  I often add a chopped apple just because I like the flavor.  I use cream of chicken soup.

How about posting your recipe?

Screenshot_20201122-122749_Gallery.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Stuffing and dressing are such personal tastes. My mother made oyster or sausage stuffing. My Mil always put boiled eggs in hers. For me the boiled eggs was very odd. I think our tastes depends strongly on what we grew up with. 

@Lali1 

I agree with people preferring what they grew up with.

doxie

Respected Contributor

This is an interesting thread.  I have never heard of using eggs in dressing or stuffing.  So many variations too!  I wish I could taste each of your recipes.  

I am thinking the dressing made with eggs is more cake like in texture????   Not sweet, but more held together.  Hard for me to explain my question I guess.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

This is an interesting thread.  I have never heard of using eggs in dressing or stuffing.  So many variations too!  I wish I could taste each of your recipes.  

I am thinking the dressing made with eggs is more cake like in texture????   Not sweet, but more held together.  Hard for me to explain my question I guess.  

Me, neither. As a matter of personal taste, I would pass on the eggs. I really do not want the dressing that bound. Anyway, any sauteed vegetables & stock would keep things together as much as I would like.