Honored Contributor

I do dressing from scratch with cornbread and chicken broth including hard boiled eggs.  No stove top or boxed, just my grandmother's recipe I watched her make while I made notes back in the "80s.  She did not have a recipes for most things. So we had to sit and take notes for her creations.  I just prepare and chop the day before than mix together Thanksgiving morning and bake after the turkey.  It is pretty easy and you can tell homemade dressing from boxed stuffing.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Re: Dressing/stuffing

[ Edited ]

My Mom always made hers from scratch. From what I remember it was bread,celery,onions and butter. I don't remember any stock but I could be wrong. No eggs. It went inside the Turkey. She used regular bread not cornbread.

Esteemed Contributor

It's acts as a binder and doesn't taste "eggy" at all.  Don't you put eggs in your cake batter, meatloaf, etc.?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

@KatieB Walmart.com carries it,it's so good. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

It's acts as a binder and doesn't taste "eggy" at all.  Don't you put eggs in your cake batter, meatloaf, etc.?

Cake batter is different.

In meatloaf, I use 1 egg. I don't form the loaf so that it is as tight as a drum. (I know I'm exaggerating.) I let the mixture fall into the pan, and then loosely shape it with my utensils.

For meatballs (when I make a lot -- 4 lb. of meat so that I can freeze them) I use 1 egg. But I do cheat here and use heavy cream to help bind the mixture. That's because once when I was making them, I had run out of eggs, and all I had was the cream.

Meatballs never tasted so tender and the sauce, too. So now this has become my recipe.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

In meatloaf, I use 1 egg. I don't form the loaf so that it is as tight as a drum. (I know I'm exaggerating.) I let the mixture fall into the pan, and then loosely shape it with my utensils.

For meatballs (when I make a lot -- 4 lb. of meat so that I can freeze them) I use 1 egg. But I do cheat here and use heavy cream to help bind the mixture. That's because once when I was making them, I had run out of eggs, and all I had was the cream.

Meatballs never tasted so tender and the sauce, too. So now this has become my recipe.

Why is cake batter different?   i only make homemade cornbread anytime of the year and that needs egg in it.  Hard boiled eggs are cooked and add to the flavor like frosting to a cake.

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

Why is cake batter different?   i only make homemade cornbread anytime of the year and that needs egg in it.  Hard boiled eggs are cooked and add to the flavor like frosting to a cake.

Because you want your cake to come out in one unit. Like the cornbread that you make. But then for stuffing, I am assuming you break the cornbread apart.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dressing/stuffing

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

Because you want your cake to come out in one unit. Like the cornbread that you make. But then for stuffing, I am assuming you break the cornbread apart.

Yes but the dressing is not soup when it is served.  Hard boiled eggs go in a great many things, potato salad and I also put in my English pea broccoli salad at Easter time for a garnish.

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

But don't you want your meatloaf to hold together?  That's what the eggs help do.  The dressing we make is really moist (but not soupy) but it does hold together.  I know some people like their dressing almost cakelike and, again, the eggs would do that for that type of dressing as well.  Regardless, adding eggs do not make it taste eggy at all which was really the point of my cake batter, meatloaf, etc. example.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

But don't you want your meatloaf to hold together?  That's what the eggs help do.  The dressing we make is really moist (but not soupy) but it does hold together.  I know some people like their dressing almost cakelike and, again, the eggs would do that for that type of dressing as well.  Regardless, adding eggs do not make it taste eggy at all which was really the point of my cake batter, meatloaf, etc. example.  

@shoptilyadropagain  If I let the meatloaf rest, it holds together perfectly!

I'm sure no one is arguing over this....you just want to understand my point, is that correct?

A long time ago, as I was most anxious to impress....I put 3 small eggs in a very large meatloaf that I was making for my parents, no less! That was the worst meatloaf ever! I couldn't believe how terrible!

I'll stick with eggs for cakes, and do the cooking with a little more [well-founded] discrimination.