Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

But don't you want your meatloaf to hold together?  That's what the eggs help do.  The dressing we make is really moist (but not soupy) but it does hold together.  I know some people like their dressing almost cakelike and, again, the eggs would do that for that type of dressing as well.  Regardless, adding eggs do not make it taste eggy at all which was really the point of my cake batter, meatloaf, etc. example.  

@shoptilyadropagain  If I let the meatloaf rest, it holds together perfectly!

I'm sure no one is arguing over this....you just want to understand my point, is that correct?

A long time ago, as I was most anxious to impress....I put 3 small eggs in a very large meatloaf that I was making for my parents, no less! That was the worst meatloaf ever! I couldn't believe how terrible!

I'll stick with eggs for cakes, and do the cooking with a little more [well-founded] discrimination.

Oh @Harpa ....I'm sorry if I came off argumentative.  Actually (my mistake), I thought you were the OP asking about adding eggs and whether that is for binding the dressing and/or would it taste eggy.  I was just merely pointing out that eggs are added to other common food mixtures and doesn't taste "eggy".  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

This is an interesting thread.  I have never heard of using eggs in dressing or stuffing.  So many variations too!  I wish I could taste each of your recipes.  

I am thinking the dressing made with eggs is more cake like in texture????   Not sweet, but more held together.  Hard for me to explain my question I guess.  

Me, neither. As a matter of personal taste, I would pass on the eggs. I really do not want the dressing that bound. Anyway, any sauteed vegetables & stock would keep things together as much as I would like.

@Harpa.  No, mine is very soft and moist.  I don't know why people get hung up on the eggs; only the cook knows they're there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain 

No, I did not take that to mean in a bad way, not at all! I should have used a word like, "discussion." (I apologize!)

I'm sure the egg things taste just as great as what I do!

I watched a PBS last night where Christy Rost added an egg to her broth and then poured it over her dressing casserole.

Trusted Contributor

My recipe calls for 2 beaten eggs and 3/4 cup milk, along with broth.  The eggs give the stuffing a nice golden color and the consistency is like old fashioned bread pudding, but it is savory with the onions, celery, and poultry seasoning.  It is a rich and hearty side-dish, and that is due to the eggs and milk. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a wonderful recipe I make in a slow cooker that contains eggs.  They thicken and bind but are not detectable.   You'd never know they were there.

Would you care to post it, @Kachina624 ?  The idea of a slow cooker dressing sounds wonderful.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a wonderful recipe I make in a slow cooker that contains eggs.  They thicken and bind but are not detectable.   You'd never know they were there.

Would you care to post it, @Kachina624 ?  The idea of a slow cooker dressing sounds wonderful.

Nevermind, @Kachina624 .  I didn't read down far enough.  Thanks for posting it though! Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Dressing/stuffing

[ Edited ]

CARMIE Wrote:  

I use my mother's recipe.  It has been passed down for generations and people go crazy over it.

It is made with eggs and milk, salt, pepper, onions,celery, white bread cubes and parsley and is cooked in a frying pan with butter before it is stuffed into the bird.

My family will not eat the dressing made with broth.  It does not taste eggy, just delicious.

@Carmie , your recipe sounds very similar to the recipe I make - also many generations old.   The only difference with mine is that we also add mushrooms.  Everyone always loves the dressing so much I always say to myself I need to make it more often, not just for the holidays!!!  

Trusted Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

I think if it tastes eggy then you may be using too many eggs. I use egg in cornbread dressing to bind  it together. I think it would be too crumbly if I did not.

doxie

@doxie1 

I agree. You must have the egg in cornbread dressing to hold it together. Not using an egg would be like making a cake without eggs. I wonder if some of these people think it is boiled eggs in the dressing?

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I discovered last year hands down the best recipe ever, White Castle Burger Stuffing.  I was really skeptical at first but it was a huge hit!  I will be making it again this year.  If you Google this, you can ck it out and see some different variations.  

E9F55997-C75B-4D27-AA69-8CA296F85EF7.jpeg 

@BornToShop 

I'm sorry, but, that just sounds awful.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

My recipe calls for 2 beaten eggs and 3/4 cup milk, along with broth.  The eggs give the stuffing a nice golden color and the consistency is like old fashioned bread pudding, but it is savory with the onions, celery, and poultry seasoning.  It is a rich and hearty side-dish, and that is due to the eggs and milk. 

@GrailSeeker 

I use my mother's recipe and yours is very similar. I use mostly cornbread with 2-3 pieces of toasted bread and sage instead of poultry seasoning.