Respected Contributor

Using oil to remove eye makeup

Do any of you do this and how does it work?  I have recently started feeling like winter dryness and heat is making my lashes a little brittle and I want to use something super gentle but super effective since I wear waterproof eyeliner.  My Neutrogena eye makeup remover is feeling too harsh. I was drawing eyeliner swatches on my hand the other day and put a few drops of argan oil on it and it wiped right off.  So I was wondering would it be good to use on my eyes or will my eyes get all gunked up and irritated.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Using oil to remove eye makeup

I've never used argan oil to remove eye makeup, but I have used baby oil with great results.

Respected Contributor

I use Beauty 360 Gentle Eye Makeup Remover from CVS.  Put some on a cotton round, and it works very well, with no brittle feeling lashes.

However, I won't use waterproof mascara...I felt it was hard on my lashes, and I really had to tug to get it off...don't like doing all that "tugging" around the delicate eye area.

Hope you find something that works for you.  I wouldn't use oil....seems like it would get in your eyes, and that can't be good.

Contributor

I use Palmer's Cocoa Butter Rosehip oil to remove my eye makeup. I have not had any irritation.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the face cloths from Costco, and sometimes when I feel I need a little extra for my lashes,  I do put the JM Argan oil on them and it's wonderful.  I never had a problem with the oil in my eyes.

I also just started using the Isomers lash conditioner (not sure of the actual name) that comes in a clear wand.  It's AMAZING, and has definitely made my lashes better with just a few uses.  

Edited to add....  It's called Isomers Stem Genesis Extreme Eyelash Enhancer.  When I purchased they had a special for a set of 2.   Excellent.

Respected Contributor

Baby shampoo was developed to cleanse hair and to cause "no tears."  In my mind that's a Win-Win for eye makeup removal.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

Baby shampoo was developed to cleanse hair and to cause "no tears."  In my mind that's a Win-Win for eye makeup removal.  

Really depends. Something designed to clean a baby's hair isn't designed to remove waterproof eye makeup and may not be effective on that.

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Do any of you do this and how does it work?  I have recently started feeling like winter dryness and heat is making my lashes a little brittle and I want to use something super gentle but super effective since I wear waterproof eyeliner.  My Neutrogena eye makeup remover is feeling too harsh. I was drawing eyeliner swatches on my hand the other day and put a few drops of argan oil on it and it wiped right off.  So I was wondering would it be good to use on my eyes or will my eyes get all gunked up and irritated.  

You can use most oils to remove eye makeup. Some oils work better than others, so you may need to experiment. Make sure your oil is clean and fresh. If you have an oil that's been open and in a humid bathroom for 6 months, for example, I probably wouldn't use that on my eyes. Likewise, if I use an oil with a dropper and touch that dropper to something, I wouldn't use it on my eyes. Chaz Dean demos his oils by putting the dropper into the hair and deposits the oil directly into the scalp. If I do that with my oil, I don't use that same oil or dropper near my eyes. I save that for a dropper that's never touched anything but the oil in the bottle.

I massage the oil into my lashes and then use a cotton round or cloth to gently remove the oil and mascara. Some oils can make my eyes feel filmy afterward, whether it's a proper "cleansing oil" or an oil from the grocery store, so I avoid those going forward.

I avoid coconut oil because it clogs my pores like crazy and breaks me out if I so much as look at a jar funny.

Esteemed Contributor

mineral oil works to . just beware that extra oil  not wiped off well can cause :

Blepharitis (blef-uh-RYE-tis) is inflammation of the eyelids. Blepharitis usually involves the part of the eyelid where the eyelashes grow and affects both eyelids. Blepharitis commonly occurs when tiny oil glands located near the base of the eyelashes become clogged.

Trusted Contributor

Beeen using baby oil since i started wearing mascara years ago. Only thing that takes my mascara off. Then i rinse with water, blot dry. Actually is leaves my lases soft, ans the oil helps with crows feet.