Contributor

I work at Walmart - May 3rd Update

Hi, I worked today 7 to 4. This was the hardest day so far in my 12 years with Walmart.

We had one of the stores within 7 miles of ours close because 81 of their employees had the virus. Their customers are now shopping in our store. We are so short of employees because they are to scared to come to work.

All day today I was solving problems at the self checkout and ringing out customers in a regular register. Most customers are only coming in to buy items they need for a month. The toy department has run out of puzzles and many board games and coloring books. Those at home are trying to keep their kids busy. And we are selling lots of bikes.

I don't see to much hoarding now, most customers are buying food. I did help garden

Customers ring out mulch, potting soil and flowers. Even lawn mowers!

I had a hot forehead and started to get sweaty, so I had a manager check my temperature and it was ok. I just wish everyone would wear a mask in the store. That is how so many employees are getting the virus. We wear masks and gloves, which is hard to do for 8 hours a day.

We also now have one-way arrows in all isles to help everyone stay 6 feet away from each other. Our store is open 7a.m. to 8:30 pm. So getting there when the store opens is the best time to shop for what you need.

Stay safe everyone.

Honored Contributor

Re: I work at Walmart - May 3rd Update

Please @Libra2, as best you can, take care of yourself. You deserve a medal. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the update, many readers were looking for you.  Thank you for what you are doing for your customers.  Continue to stay safe. Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Libra2 

Stay safe!

Do you think the one-way aisles are working? I think I'm the only person that actually follows them. I've gone down aisles where I don't even want anything just so I can enter the next aisle the right way. Then 3 people come at me from the wrong direction. Very frustrating! At first I thought maybe they didn't see the one-way? But it's been 2-3 weeks & they're still going the wrong way. Thank goodness for grocery pick-up! I'm only going inside for emergencies!

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Libra2 -

I'm glad you are ok so far and I hope you remain safe.

You are very brave and courageous though I know you may have no choice.

When I went to my Walmart a few days ago, just like you said, all the employees were wearing masks and gloves but not all customers were.

That is disappointing when you are trying so hard to be safe!

We were all hoping you were ok because we hadn't seen your post in awhile and heard that Walmart closed.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Hope you stay safe. Thank you 🙏 

Esteemed Contributor

@Libra2   I think you are brave.

Sending you a cyber-hug.  Wish I could send you more!

Valued Contributor

You are a frontline worker and deserve hazard pay.  I wish everyone in the store was forced to wear a mask or made to leave.  Stay safe!

Respected Contributor

@Libra2 Congratulations on a job well done! I appreciate your post but I am sorry for the extra stress and challenges of your workload - I had no idea. I think it’s admirable for you to “show up”. 

I am one of the few to stick to the stay home mandates and really had no idea what’s going on out there. 

Momma taught us that hard work pays off - I pray that remains true. Don’t forget there are those of us that care about you and appreciate you.