Respected Contributor

Re: Am I off base?

[ Edited ]

@Carmie   OMG! What a precious baby, so adorable.

My Maine Coon also has fluffly slippers, I too have to hold the fur out of the way to trim her claws, as my son holds her.

Honored Contributor

I've read that if you have a wiggly cat to wrap them gently in a bath towel, someone holds them, and you pull out one paw at a time to trim them.   

Sounds like it would work well.

Honored Contributor

I'm realizing we were very lucky with our kittie!

She trimed her own nails by chewing them off and I would see them fly across the room or find them here and there days later.

And she was not one to let you pick her up or hold her, just pet until she let you know no more with a ****** or 3!

She was found wild and she was pretty crochety until the last year or 2 of her 19 years. Then she turned into a sweetheart and loved to be petted in bed with me. She would let me know when it was time for bed-11pm. Breakfast was 5:30. And lovely mini meals in between. Miss herSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 Our vet has never provided any service without being paid.   We pay $20.00 for a nail job for my westie.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Carmie   OMG! What a precious baby, so adorable.

My Maine Coon also has fluffly slippers, I too have to hold the fur out of the way to trim her claws, as my son holds her.

Oops, that is a stock photo and not my dog.  

here are my dogs...just as cute as the picture, just not as well groomed.  We are at camp.

IMG_1451.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Am I off base?

[ Edited ]

My vet also charges for nail trims, I've taken my pups there for over 24 years. When it was bought out by a national corporation 10 years ago, every service price escalated.

Next Thursday My Reilley goes  in for  a rabies jab and his rattlesnake shot. The receptionist suggested I make an appointment to see a technician and I'll pay only for shots.You might see if you can do the same.My groomer does free nail clips between groomings.

Regular Contributor

@hyacinth003 I would venture to say that it wasn't the trim that your Vet had in mind as she demonstrated how to do it, rather that Veterinarians are getting more and more scarce and usually are over booked every day. Maybe it was a bone of contention to her, that the trim was added on during the appointment instead of scheduled. I am not siding with the Vet, but simply saying that I know they are so busy. If it were me, I would ask her next time, why she didn't go ahead and do the trim while your DH had the dog there. Just to see what she says. 

Respected Contributor

Sounds odd that the vet would pretend to clip the nails and charge for it. If the nails were clipped I'd expect to have to pay for it.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't sound as if the vet in the OP charged for a non-existent nail clipping; just that she didn't do it.

We're not getting the whole story, so I don't think the vet can be blamed for anything.

My former vet would always do a complimentary nail clipping, when our cats went in for an exam (until we told him not to even try doing our Tonkinese!).  We used to have four cats and he could do the other three no problem.  Woman Very Happy

He gave up the practice (and moved to Florida!), so we switched clinics.  I think our new one would also do it complimentary during an exam.  Otherwise, if it was just a tech visit, I believe it's $15.

I don't subscribe to the theory that all vets are just out for the money.  At least that hasn't been my experience.  And I always remember that the equipment they need to  purchase and the cost of everything else is a large overhead for them.

I know my cat's normal annual exam is around $85.  I don't call that excessive.  As pets age, however, things are bound to get more expensive.  I do know our current vet saved our Tonkinese's life last year - literally.  And there is no price I'd put on that.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Your vet "simulated" trimming your dog's nails?  What does that mean?

Was she showing your husband how to do it or did she not do it because he didn't want to pay for it?  There seems to be some missing information.

We just took our senior cat to the vet for her annual exam, senior bloodwork and while there had to have an x-ray for a potential problem.  She also had an injection for her chronic nasal issues.

Cost?  $505.  Having a pet and being a responsible owner these days costs money.  Your $175 sounds reasonable, with or without nail trimming.

(Most places I know now charge to trim nails.  Some offer it as a complimentary service, but my cat wouldn't let anyone but me clip her claws.  Believe me, one vet found out the hard way!)

@Venezia 

She held her paw as IF she was going to trim the nails, but just simulated it.  Don't know what she thought about payment!

Hyacinth