Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@hyacinth003    I had the same thing happen with Ruby one of her first few visits.  I agree.  As much money as we spend, you'd think that service could be provided at least for a discount.  I watched as it was done by a 20 year old vet tech.    I'm still afraid to trim her nails on my own.

I hate to say this, but vets and shelters wonder why it's so hard to get animals adopted.  Well, the cost of ownership plays the biggest part.  😔

My Vet's office offers a 10% discount for seniors over age 65.  My chart should indicate that I should get the discount.  I have been eligible for years, but they always charge me the full price.

Usually, I catch it and remind them.  I was told that I had to be at least 65 of which I am.  They always challenge me at the front desk about my age.

Last week, I didn't catch it and paid the full price.  When I take my dog in this week for a dental, I will remind them and ask them to refund 10% I overpaid last week.

Respected Contributor

Re: Am I off base?

[ Edited ]

As far as nail trimming, Big A sells this great little nail trimmer device, rechargeable, quiet, very safe. It's like a Dremel rotating nail file, but has a safety head on top, and a light. I pair it with little treats for each paw, and my dog happily sits to have nails trimmed.  You do have to get them used to it, though-   Best $20 ever spent! HTH! 

Honored Contributor

I wish I could use a battery nail trimmer, but it would be too dangerous.  My dogs have hairy, fluffy feet.  You have to fold and hold the fur out of the way when you trim.

I have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

IMG_2227.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I wish I could use a battery nail trimmer, but it would be too dangerous.  My dogs have hairy, fluffy feet.  You have to fold and hold the fur out of the way when you trim.

I have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

IMG_2227.jpeg

I see what you mean.  You would need to trim the fur first if it's long! 

Esteemed Contributor

I learned how to clip my dogs nails.

Over covid, when our vet's office was patients standing outside and

then being called in one patient at a time, I needed our puppy's nail

cut every  visit. During one visit I was told there was no time today

to do it.

Well this had me upset. But then I was told to come in any other

morning when they had more time.

I did that and they were still tied up with patients. Makes you feel

like your pet isn't that important.

Totally disgusted with them and wasting my time and gas, I just

watched videos online of how to trim dogs nails carefully and I 

went out and found a pair of clippers, cost was under $10. 

We have a new puppy and I just trimmed her nails over the weekend.

She was sleeping and I did it, no problems. They have to get used

to you feeling their paws often and touching the nails. Watch some

videos so you don't cut the quick and they don't bleed. It takes some

patience but now I don't need that service done.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 - You still haven't explained what you meant by the vet "simulating" clipping the nails.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg I'm so sorry for your loss...and both of them so close together! It never gets any easier, we've been through it a number of times over the years. It's yet another reason we just not going to do it again.

My cats are 16 & 13, so who knows how much longer I'll have with them. They've both been with us since they were 3-4 months old, and I will miss them when they are gone. Our dog, if he stays healthy, should be with us another 6-7 years. He's only 5 y/o, but bigger breeds have a shorter live span, and his is 10-12 years. But that will put me & DH both well into our 70's. 

Honored Contributor

It's my experience that nail clipping costs vary widely.

In 2014, when I first got Bogey, I had the vet's office cut his nails without asking how much they charge.  They charged me $28!  

So, I had to shop around.  I made the mistake of not training him as a baby to let me cut his nails, so this became an every month expense.  My mistake, and I won't do that again!

Then I started taking him to Kriser's because they were very nice, took walk-ins for nail clippings and the entire grooming section was glass enclosed, so you could see everything they were doing to any animal.   They charged $15 ... plus tip.

A neighbor suggested Rusty's.  Small family owned business.  I think they only had 3 stores, but they are very customer oriented.  Not only would they get the carrier with Bogey in it from my car, but took it back to the car when he was done.  They charged me $7 and wouldn't take a tip, so I always bought litter or treats ... or something ... every time I went.  Very nice people to deal with.

Here in LA, people also have businesses where they'll come to your home to cut the nails, but I think animals are less resistant when they are on someone else's turf.

My suggestion is .... shop around.  Small businesses really appreciate new regular customers.

Super Contributor

@hyacinth003 

"simulated nail trimming"?  our vet's techs have always done the trimming   and not a simulation   pay for nothing done? 

mrshckynut 

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette  How cute, that your cat would actually give you his paw, for a trim. That is so sweet.

My son will hold our cat, so I can trim  a few claws at a time. I also, just do the tips. She is a fluffy Maine Coon with fluffy slippers. The black fur makes it difficult to see the black claws and I'm afraid of hurting her. It takes two hands to cut her claws.

It is too traumatic for her to be put into the carrier, go for a twenty minute ride and have the vet cut her nails. I think that they charged $29., the last time the vet tech did it.