Respected Contributor

My husband took our dog, a chihuahua mix, to the vet for vaccinations and check up.  I think it was about $175.

While there, my husband said her nails needed trimming, and he didn't ever do it before.  Our other dogs had to be groomed monthly, so they had their nails done.

This vet took a nail trimmer and simulated nail trimming, but didn't do it.  I was more than a little peeved at this.  We are 23 year clients with many pets we take very good care of.  We have spent many THOUSANDS of dollars there.

I think she came so close to trimming her nails and should have DONE IT without charge.  Am I off base?

Hyacinth

Contributor

I have a 4 year old miniature Daschund and take her to the vet for wellness checks and vaccinations. I do have her nails trimmed while at the vet. I've never had issues paying for the service as it is expected. It started as $14 per trimming and during this past year it went up to $30. By the way, her annual vaccination cost me $260 which includes the heart warm blood drawing/test. Each month I also pay somewhere around $35 for her heart worm med. Cost and prices are high nowadays. 

Valued Contributor

Doctors, vets, dentists all charge for every little thing. If one ever gets something free its a miracle. I wouldn't expect it.

Honored Contributor

Your vet "simulated" trimming your dog's nails?  What does that mean?

Was she showing your husband how to do it or did she not do it because he didn't want to pay for it?  There seems to be some missing information.

We just took our senior cat to the vet for her annual exam, senior bloodwork and while there had to have an x-ray for a potential problem.  She also had an injection for her chronic nasal issues.

Cost?  $505.  Having a pet and being a responsible owner these days costs money.  Your $175 sounds reasonable, with or without nail trimming.

(Most places I know now charge to trim nails.  Some offer it as a complimentary service, but my cat wouldn't let anyone but me clip her claws.  Believe me, one vet found out the hard way!)

Honored Contributor

Based on all the nail trimming hassles (and trips to the groomers for clippings) when I get my next kitty, the first thing we're going to do is learn to sit nicely for nail trims.   

At least that's what I think is going to happen.  LOL  Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

Its a business. They have every right to chsrge for services.

What i dont understand in your post is the part where you say it was " simulated nail trimming but didnt do it".

What does thst mean?

Honored Contributor

The vet (we've been using for decades) charges $10 for nail trimming.

Honored Contributor

Just last week, one of my dogs was limping, so I took her to the vet.  While she was there, I asked to have her nails cut.  I took my second dog in as well and asked for a nail trim.

The limping dog's trim cost $25 and the other dog was $35.  That's a lot of money for a nail trim.  And their nails weren't smooth after.  They didn't do a good job.  They are both small dogs.

The vet charged $98 for the office visit and couldn't find anything wrong.  The dog might have caught her foot on something....there was no bruising or cuts.  The next day she wasn't limping anymore.

I will never get their nails trimmed at the vets.  Way too expensive. Vets don't do anything free of charge anymore.

All they do is push expensive vaccines annually that are not necessary causing liver damage and other medical problems.

One of my dogs will be getting a dental this week.  I might have to remortgage my house.

Respected Contributor

Vet bills are high and no wonder some can't take care of their pets like they should.  Many have a lot of love to give but just can't afford to take care of their pets properly.

I have spent a fortune at the vet over the years and probably always will.  Just like everything prices keep climbing.  Just doesn't seem right.  

Honored Contributor

As much as I love dogs I'm glad I don't have one!  I wouldn't even spend $35 for a manicure for myself--LOL!!  And I don't even go to the doctor unless something is wrong so those vet bills would be a problem!