Respected Contributor

Yikes, all my fault and hope to replace!

[ Edited ]

Well, I did a stupid thing.

Earlier this year I purchased from QVC the great  6 Qrt. Instant Pot Viva 9 in 1 in purple at a great sale price from $129 down to $79! Although im single, I felt I could not pass it up. ( THIS IS NOT THE stupid thing I refer to above).

Thanks to reading lots of forums and watching YouTube...I got over my fear  of pressure cooking it. Nothing but good food has come out of it.

Well, I have a very small kitchen with no counterspace for this appliance. I stored it on top of my glasstop stove. 

Last night in the middle of the night I had gotten up to get some iced tea and then proceeded  to move some things around and gotten cans of blackbeans out of the cupboard to ready for a salad I'm fixing today. in my sleepiness I pushed the Instant Pot back further to give me room this morning for veggies and such as my cutting board is next to stove. I went back to my bed to watch tv to try to fall asleep

About 20 min later I smelled a very chemical smell causing me to cough a little. I opened my bedroom door and my kitchen and my living room was starting to fill with smoke. When I had pushed my Instant Pot back earlier, it has pushed the backburner knob on to 4 and my Instant Pot plastic bottom was melting, GLOWING EMBERS underneath. I quickly turned off the stove, moved the pot to the cool side, grabbed a metal spatula and a wood spoon and scooped up embers/melted plastic and through them in the kitchen sink.  Opened up my sliding door, turned on the fan overmy patio table just get it circulating outside and opened my front door.  I realized if i dont get this cleaned up immediately i will have a mound of cold, stuck plastic on my glass top so i spent the next hour and a half at 2: 00am cleaning this scary mess up, scrubbing and scrapping.

I did wait to later this morning and turned over the pot to see it had melted the entire bottom up to the wiring and I shudder to think what might have caught fire or exploded had I had actually fallen asleep.  I've thrown it in my garbage can outside. Hazardous Waste center will not accept. 

I am exhausted The house smells awful. I had just removed the battery from my old smoke detector LAST WEEK and had not replaced it...needed to go buy one 9volt. Or a new one...I was deciding. I really wanted to get a new one as this is the one that came with the house. I need it loud as I'm over 60% deaf even with a hearing aid. 

I'm going to go load up on Febreeze . I've used an inhaler to soothe my lungs. I hope QVC is going to put this purple one on sale before Christmas. I have a gift card...and my life. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yikes, all my fault and hope to replace!

Thank heaven you're ok. Sorry you had sucha mess to clean up and your pot got ruined.  I never put anything on my glass top just for that reason, afraid I will inadvertly hit something and heat a burner.  I know crockpots are meant to be set and forgotten, I never leave the house with mine on or use it overnight.  Fire is the one thing I am afraid of.

Super Contributor

I'm so glad you are ok, @LizzieInSRQ   Scary stuff!

Trusted Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ 

Thank goodness you weren’t harmed! That’s the important thing to remember. Kitchen items can be replaced, but you cannot.  I image you’ll be hyper vigilant about your appliances which isnt a bad thing. Breathe in some fresh air and don’t beat yourself up. We all do stupid things. Sending sending you {{hugs}}.

Super Contributor

I am glad you are ok and not much was lost except the instant pot and some sleep time! The first time i used mine, I was holding my ipad when i released the steam for the first time ever. (I was reading the directions.) I was so,startled by the sound of the steam releasing that my ipad went flying across the kitchen floor! I was fine, the instant pot was fine but my ipad screen was shattered! 

Hoping things are lokking (and smelling) better this afternoon!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I will NEVER  use my stove top for storage again other than a spoon rest! What if this was during the day and id pushed that back and ran to the store?? No house! #LessonLearned.

Thank you for your well wishes and wise words!

Respected Contributor

@Shiloh09 wrote:

I am glad you are ok and not much was lost except the instant pot and some sleep time! The first time i used mine, I was holding my ipad when i released the steam for the first time ever. (I was reading the directions.) I was so,startled by the sound of the steam releasing that my ipad went flying across the kitchen floor! I was fine, the instant pot was fine but my ipad screen was shattered! 

Hoping things are lokking (and smelling) better this afternoon!

Yikes that IPAD was expensive! Sorry that happened!

Respected Contributor

I know what ya mean @CrazyKittyLvr2 ...my oldest brother died in an arson fire set by a literally mentally ill stranger. ...the fear is real that I do not light candles unless someone is here so i dont fall asleep with them still lit.

Trusted Contributor

Glad you are OK.  It must have been very scary at the time.

If you have ammonia put some small bowls of ammonia around your house and leave it overnight.  Ammonia really helps eliminate odors, but does it slowly (as opposed to spraying something in the air).  It is very effective and the strong smell of ammonia only lasts a few minutes, then it turns to almost sweet scent.  Do NOT leave bowls of ammonia where pets or small children might get it and consume it.  I always put a small bowl on the counter when I am cooking something that might leave an odor.  It really works!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Frequent Contributor

I just purchased an air fryer and it came with a warning written in very large letters to NOT place the unit on your stovetop due to burners getting inadvertingly turned on and melting the air fryer!

So, you know it happens fairly often. Kinda scary!

And we can all assume you've replaced your smoke alarm, right?

Glad you are ok, sorry for the hassle!