Respected Contributor

Re: Yikes, all my fault and hope to replace!

@Havarti wrote:

Glad you are OK.  It must have been very scary at the time.

If you have ammonia put some small bowls of ammonia around your house and leave it overnight.  Ammonia really helps eliminate odors, but does it slowly (as opposed to spraying something in the air).  It is very effective and the strong smell of ammonia only lasts a few minutes, then it turns to almost sweet scent.  Do NOT leave bowls of ammonia where pets or small children might get it and consume it.  I always put a small bowl on the counter when I am cooking something that might leave an odor.  It really works!

Oh, I'm going to go do this right Now! This makes total sense. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

It could happen to anyone. I’m glad you’re okay!

I’ve done some “stupid” things before in the kitchen and elsewhere!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NVmimi wrote:

I just purchased an air fryer and it came with a warning written in very large letters to NOT place the unit on your stovetop due to burners getting inadvertingly turned on and melting the air fryer!

So, you know it happens fairly often. Kinda scary!

And we can all assume you've replaced your smoke alarm, right?

Glad you are ok, sorry for the hassle!

Well I did put a new battery in the one I have, this morning. I need to talk to someone about helping me replace with a new unit cuz frankly I don't like stepstools ladders etc. I have terrible balance (missing bones in my ears etc.) I gotta ask my brother to come over and help, gotta buy the replacement first. I could put this on a wall by myself but that is not how they work. Off to go do the ammonia bowls!

Respected Contributor

Try xo to remove smell and also leave a few small uncovered bowls of vinegar out. Keep windows open.

Thank goodness you’re ok.

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ Oh My Goodness!  Thank goodness you awoke and handled the situation!  I wish you had an ionic air cleaner.  We've found them invaluable.  I burned the first one out after fifteen years!

Dishes odf charcoal will also absorb odors.  You may also have to wash or clean window treatments.  If I knew you, I'd run over and help!

Here's an angel to stay with you!

See the source image

Respected Contributor

You have lots of good advice here, I just want to say how sorry I feel for you.  No wonder you are exhausted.  That you shared this may have saved someone else from a terrible tragedy, you never know.  Good luck clearing out the odor and gaining back your sense of equilibrium.

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ   It would have been far worse if you had gone back to bed and fallen into a deep sleep. Please tell me that you have smoke dectectors in your home. So happy to hear that you are okay. Like someone else said we all do dumb things at some point. Don't beat yourself up. Just look upon this as a learning experience and know that someone upstairs is looking after you. 

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@NVmimi wrote:

I just purchased an air fryer and it came with a warning written in very large letters to NOT place the unit on your stovetop due to burners getting inadvertingly turned on and melting the air fryer!

So, you know it happens fairly often. Kinda scary!

And we can all assume you've replaced your smoke alarm, right?

Glad you are ok, sorry for the hassle!

Well I did put a new battery in the one I have, this morning. I need to talk to someone about helping me replace with a new unit cuz frankly I don't like stepstools ladders etc. I have terrible balance (missing bones in my ears etc.) I gotta ask my brother to come over and help, gotta buy the replacement first. I could put this on a wall by myself but that is not how they work. Off to go do the ammonia bowls!

Lizziie, if you can't find someone to help you with the smoke detectors I believe the local fire department will do this. Please reach out to them. 

Respected Contributor

When you're getting a new Instant Pot & a new battery for your smoke detector, you might consider buying & 2nd & maybe a 3rd alarm for your place. 

My house has hard-wired ones, but they have a backup battery in them & my 3 bedroom house has 6 smoke detectors in it.  My local fire dept. will replace batteries for me (I buy the batteries), just call & if they aren't busy, they come out between calls, which is great since I have vaulted ceilings & am very short & can't even reach some of mine on tippy toes on the very top of a 6 ft. ladder, which is not safe at all.

Glad you caught it before it became more serious & you had a kitchen fire.

Honored Contributor

Glad you smelled it burning. I melted the bottom of an air fryer by setting it on a burner. Although it still worked, I tossed it out and got a smaller, clearance priced Air Fryer from QVC last week.