Respected Contributor

Got my GZ 6qt nonstick Dutch Oven today, that was fast

Hubby said UPS  was in the driveway with a package. What to cook first to break it in ? I'd love the recipe for the Fluffy Parker House Rolls with Honey Butter salt. Just love hot bread and butter. 😊 ❤ 😊 

Honored Contributor

Re: Got my GZ 6qt nonstick Dutch Oven today, that was fast

[ Edited ]

Found this one online a while back but have not tried it yet. It looks good. Search Menu Musings to find it online. She has step by step with pictures plus more info.

This is adapted from the Fannie Farmerecipe dating back well over 100 years ago. *See Food Nerd Notes at the bottom of the post.  I will share information about the legendary Fannie Farmer and also about Parker House Rolls.

Ingredients - 

• 1 envelope active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 room temperature large egg
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • more flaky sea salt for finishing

Whisk 1 envelope active dry yeast and 1/4 cup warm water in a bowl and let it stand for 5 minutes.  Heat 1 cup whole milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until it is just warm.  

To another bowl, add 1/4 cup vegetable shortening.  Next, add the 3 Tbsp sugar and 2 tsp kosher salt.  Add the yeast mixture to the milk mixture. Add in 1 large room temperature egg. Add in 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Transfer the dough ball to a lightly oiled bowl, and turn to coat. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Melt 1/2 cup butter in a small cup or saucepan.  Lightly brush a 13x9" baking dish with some of the melted butter. Punch down the dough, and divide into 4 equal pieces. Working with 1 piece at a time, roll out each ball of dough onto a floured surface into a 12x6" rectangle.  Cut lengthwise into three, 2"-wide strips... A pizza cutter definitely makes this easier! Smiley Happy Brush half of each piece with melted butter, then fold the unbuttered side over, allowing 1/4" overhang.  *I think we will probably do this differently next time, but I was trying to stay true to the recipe.  I think next time, we will just form dough balls, brush the tops with butter, and then make an indention in the middle of them with a chopstick, laid on top of them. 
Brush the tops with melted butter, then loosely cover and chill for 30 minutes or up to 6 hours. Bake rolls until golden and puffed, about 35 minutes.  Brush with melted butter (again!).

Respected Contributor

congrats @Barbarainnc ! You recieved that fast didn't you? I was tempted to order that item as I watched. One of the things I thought it would be great for would be slow roasting a chicken in the oven . I would only do this during heating season though . That is my favorite way to cook chicken ---it just seems to taste best that way.  I loved the lid idea. I have an ancient cast iron skillet that I use but always wrestle with aluminun foil. I may give in to temptation sometime.Smiley Happy

@NightowlzOh my that looks delicious !

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for posting the recipe. 😊 ❤ 😊 

Occasional Contributor

Sorcery!  Those look A-MAZ-ING! Smiley Very Happy

@Nightowlz wrote:

Found this one online a while back but have not tried it yet. It looks good. Search Menu Musings to find it online. She has step by step with pictures plus more info.

This is adapted from the Fannie Farmerecipe dating back well over 100 years ago. *See Food Nerd Notes at the bottom of the post.  I will share information about the legendary Fannie Farmer and also about Parker House Rolls.

Brush the tops with melted butter, then loosely cover and chill for 30 minutes or up to 6 hours. Bake rolls until golden and puffed, about 35 minutes.  Brush with melted butter (again!).