Super Contributor

Re: What kind of bread do you use in meatloaf?

I get a loaf of Italian bread fresh from the bakery, soak it in whole milk, then tear it in pieces. Yum.

Honored Contributor

I use Italian flavored bread crumbs, my mom toasted day old bread and crumpled it. My mil used crushed Saltines. I absolutely hate meat loaf that has lumps of bread in it.
Trusted Contributor

I don't use wheat products anymore, and my meatloaf recipe calls for 1 cup of breadcrumbs, so I use half oats and half flax seed meal.

Respected Contributor

I use the heel in the loaf of white bread. But first, I put the bread in my little 4 cup Cuisinart food processor and pulverize it so that the bread is not noticed in the meatloaf.

This food processor is probably my favorite appliance. I use it to chop onions, celery, nuts, anything that needs to be chopped. It gets used just about every time I cook.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone! I love these suggestions!

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

On 3/8/2015 05gage25 said:

I've used regular bread crumbs, oats, and panko bread crumbs. When I make Mexican meat loaf, I use crushed tortilla chips.Smile Haven't tried crackers, but that would probably be good, too.

Omg, mexican meatloaf? Please share recipe! Not trying to hijack your post, i make my own breadcrumbs, i look in the day old section of the grocery bakery and grind up in my vitamix or cusinart, whichever is out and in use.
Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2015 birkin baby said: I use quaker oats . I use the original recipe from the back of the box. My mod Made it in the 60's and I still love that exact recipe today. It's so good.
I use oatmeal also. So easy to just grab a handful.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I use rolled oats too! Good old fashioned rolled oats.

Honored Contributor

crushed pretzels

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I use fresh white bread crumbs, they don't add any flavor to the meat and I like the texture of the meat loaf better.