Honored Contributor

What kind of bread do you use in meatloaf?

I was watching the sandwich guy yesterday, can't remember his name... Jeff, maybe?

In any case, he used Saltine crackers in his meatloaf. I'd never seen that before.

Can you please share what you use for bread in your meatloaf? I know there are so many options.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: What kind of bread do you use in meatloaf?

I use panko breadcrumbs.

Valued Contributor

I remember saltine crackers- never used them myself- as I recall the recipes called for the saltines to be soaked in milk a bit before adding to the meatloaf. Again, I have never used them. I have a nice recipe that just uses plain ol' white bread torn into coarse pieces. I try to use the older dryer slices. Lots of folks request this recipe so if you are looking for one, I am happy to share. Nice comfort food especially if you are encased in snow like we are.

Valued Contributor

I've used regular bread crumbs, oats, and panko bread crumbs. When I make Mexican meat loaf, I use crushed tortilla chips.Smile Haven't tried crackers, but that would probably be good, too.

Respected Contributor

I use quaker oats . I use the original recipe from the back of the box. My mom Made it in the 60's and I still love that exact recipe today. It's so good.
Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2015 chvall99 said:

I remember saltine crackers- never used them myself- as I recall the recipes called for the saltines to be soaked in milk a bit before adding to the meatloaf. Again, I have never used them. I have a nice recipe that just uses plain ol' white bread torn into coarse pieces. I try to use the older dryer slices. Lots of folks request this recipe so if you are looking for one, I am happy to share. Nice comfort food especially if you are encased in snow like we are.

80 degree temps here, no snow, but I'd still love that recipe!

Thank you Smile

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I use bread crumbs but I would use cracker crumbs too, panko as well. My Mom used (regular) bread that she'd break up. I'll never forget the first time I made a meatloaf using bread. I mixed up all of the ingredients but for some odd reason when it was done, it was like all the bread puffed out and you could see where every piece was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just looked very odd to me - Mom's never looked like this I thought! What went wrong??? I never used bread again!!!! In fact I've made meatloaves without crumbs at time. Came out just fine.

Ah, the trials & tribulations of cooking!!!! Never ceases to amaze me sometimes - well almost never.

Respected Contributor

I have meat loaf recipes that call for oats, and recipes that use dry bread crumbs.

They both work well, but I like oats a bit better; they seem a healthier choice and the oats are a good binder.

Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2015 birkin baby said: I use quaker oats . I use the original recipe from the back of the box. My mod Made it in the 60's and I still love that exact recipe today. It's so good.

Is this the recipe you're referring to? It says "prize winning", but the reviews don't reflect that. I'm willing to give it a try.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Ritz crackers or Quaker Oats.