Trusted Contributor

Re: What kind of bread do you use in meatloaf?

Wow. I have enjoyed reading everyone's ideas for binders for meatloaf.

I have used oats. That is what my Mom would normally put in her meatloaf, when I was growing up, too. They actually work really great, and you don't really notice them, in my opinion.

I have also used plain commercial bread crumbs, and also commercial Italian bread crumbs, too, and both have worked really well.

I have bought a store-bought raw, ready-made pre-formed meatloaf mix that included ground-up saltines in it, and it was very good. All that you had to do with it was put it in a pan and bake it, and then if you wanted to, just make some gravy for it or a sauce for the top of it, and then make your sides for it.

But, I have never tried saltines as a binder, myself. That is something that I would definitely consider doing, though. Smile

Respected Contributor

On 3/8/2015 house_cat said:
On 3/8/2015 birkin baby said: I use quaker oats . I use the original recipe from the back of the box. My mod Made it in the 60's and I still love that exact recipe today. It's so good.

Is this the recipe you're referring to? It says "prize winning", but the reviews don't reflect that. I'm willing to give it a try.

I also use Quaker Oats. I use to follow the recipe on the Quaker Oats box also. I discovered it 41 years ago when I got married. I remember it having milk in it. I have never been able to find that recipe since they took it off the box.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

On 3/9/2015 starpolisher said:
On 3/8/2015 house_cat said:
On 3/8/2015 birkin baby said: I use quaker oats . I use the original recipe from the back of the box. My mod Made it in the 60's and I still love that exact recipe today. It's so good.

Is this the recipe you're referring to? It says "prize winning", but the reviews don't reflect that. I'm willing to give it a try.

I also use Quaker Oats. I use to follow the recipe on the Quaker Oats box also. I discovered it 41 years ago when I got married. I remember it having milk in it. I have never been able to find that recipe since they took it off the box.

After posting this, I started looking once again for the recipe I use and lo and behold I found it here:
http://rogersparkretro.blogspot.com/search/label/Quaker%20Oats

I've been looking for it for some time. This time I put "vintage" first and it came up!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Thank you, starpolisher. I tried the saltines tonight. It wasn't awful, but I won't try it again.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I use the Quaker oats recipe as well! I've made it so many times, I don't need the recipe card!
Super Contributor

saltine crackers. I crush them up really fine.

Super Contributor

Ive tried saltines, ritz, and boxed bread crumbs but didn't like them. My favorite meatloaf has most of a loaf of sliced white bread that I cube, drizzle milk over to wet all the pieces, then add the ground beef, onion, egg, bbq sauce, steak sauce, catsup, celery, seasonings and shape into a long loaf in a 13x9 baking dish. I then wrap strips of bacon all around the meatloaf and bake about half an hour or until the bacon is crisp brown.

When the meatloaf is done, I put it on a serving platter and slice 1-1 1/2" portions. You can see the white cubes of bread in each slice but they are soft and flavorful.

If there is any leftovers, this makes great meatloaf sandwiches.

Respected Contributor

I'm late in responding, but I noticed this because I just made meat loaf tonight. Didn't read all the responses so it may have been mentioned, but I use Ritz crackers. Delicious.
Honored Contributor

Oatmeal is by far the best from what I have tried.....
Valued Contributor

On 3/8/2015 05gage25 said:

I've used regular bread crumbs, oats, and panko bread crumbs. When I make Mexican meat loaf, I use crushed tortilla chips.Smile Haven't tried crackers, but that would probably be good, too.

Ooohhh Mexican meatloaf sounds so good. What all do you put in it???

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}