Frequent Contributor

Re: Thinking......About Easter Dinner?????

@ECBG wrote:

What will you be likely to fix for Easter?

Our son likes ham more than I do.  Actually, everyone else likes ham too!  Ham is ok.

I'll probably do a brown sugar spiral cut ham.  They like ham, I prefer brown sugar to honey ham.

Potato Salad will be the 1 starch

Deviled Eggs

Fresh green Beans

Grilled yellow squash

Steamed carrots

Hot artisan bread

Strawberry shortcake or something with fresh fruit.  I may mix fresh fruit like a millianaire pie and put it over lemon glazed pound cake.

We have a ham in the freezer, so unless a turkey flies into my kitchen....😝

Sides?  Well...something potato-y?  Some form of greens...uhmmmmm, blondies for dessert?

Honored Contributor

I am the cook for our extended family holiday dinners.  I live alone now.

This past Christmas was the first holiday where we all stayed in our respective homes; no one traveled to the other.  I still cooked, trying to make smaller portions, but I still had the usual two entrees and six side dishes.  I just couldn't eliminate a dish.  It was like eliminating a memory.  But it was way too much food!

We are still not visiting en mass yet, but I'm over the sentimental over-cooking.  This Easter will be Take Out at a favorite local restaurant in town, no leftovers. 

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

Haven't really thought about this. Maybe I'll order a pizza and make a salad with blue cheese dressing. Dessert? pecan pie. I can make that.

As you can see, I'm still not organized, but at least the op brought it to my attention.

@Flatbush 

Come to NC and join us then!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Nick and Nora wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

What will you be likely to fix for Easter?

Our son likes ham more than I do.  Actually, everyone else likes ham too!  Ham is ok.

I'll probably do a brown sugar spiral cut ham.  They like ham, I prefer brown sugar to honey ham.

Potato Salad will be the 1 starch

Deviled Eggs

Fresh green Beans

Grilled yellow squash

Steamed carrots

Hot artisan bread

Strawberry shortcake or something with fresh fruit.  I may mix fresh fruit like a millianaire pie and put it over lemon glazed pound cake.

We have a ham in the freezer, so unless a turkey flies into my kitchen....😝

Sides?  Well...something potato-y?  Some form of greens...uhmmmmm, blondies for dessert?

@Nick and Nora 

I thought I'd share this corn dish done in a deep dish.  It's almost a light custard with sweet corn.  We love it, especially with fresh green beans. 

Corn Soufflé

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2 C   frozen thawed Whole Kernel corn, drained

2 cans cream style corn

4 Tbsp. sugar (may be slightly decreased)

4 Tbsp plain flour

4 Tbsp Whipping cream or half and half

4 eggs, beaten

Combine all ingredients

Pour into buttered 3 qt baking dish

Bake 1-1 1/2 hours until golden

Doubles well with a 4 qt baker.

Respected Contributor

Spiral Ham

Fresh green beans

Home made scallop potatoes

I may make macaroni salad to have with the ham leftovers.  Dessert....I'm unsure.  Right now thinking rice pudding.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Would love to come. Thanks for inviting me. What time ?

Honored Contributor

I usually cook a meal for a friend and dh's daughter, frankly I am tired of hosting.  This year we are going to church on Saturday evening, then out for dinner.  

Easter morning we will go out for breakfast, and I will make a dessert for later in the day.  If my friend and stepdaughter want to stop over, that's great, if not, that's fine as well.  

If we both had more family in the area, it would be different, but it is just not fun or enjoyable any more.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   Well I think you deserve a huge star by your name...enjoy your day.

Esteemed Contributor

When I asked both kids about Easter dinner they said,"why are you worrying about a big dinner?" Neither want a huge meal dinner.  I suggested breakfast/brunch.

Eat and visit early in the day and then they can do want they have to. 

I finally found a great breakfast sausage (85 mi. away, but worth it) so I will do that and either french toast or waffles, fruit, scrambled eggs (my preference), muffins, oj and coffee.

Simple and clean up will be done early.  OK by me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Would love to come. Thanks for inviting me. What time ?

@Flatbush   Around 6 pm.  The GS's come here and love all the room to explore in the woods.  I don't call them in.  Nature is to be appreciated, explored, and loved.  I want them to always have those values with them and pass them down.  Their grandmother is the great granddaughter of the artist that worked on Biltmore House.