Esteemed Contributor

I had my daughter stop at a small family owned store that has good meat and she got the same size pork roast for $10.

Will use the pork roast for a different meal.  Not sure why beef has gone up so much more than pork.

DD has been "off beef" for the most part for a couple of years so the plain vegetable soup is fine with both of us. It is better for us too.

Honored Contributor

Sore subject with me.  I remember beef rising to ridiculous pricing when there was a long drought in the midwest.  Ranchers were sending their cattle to market.

Prices rose to over $5.00 a lb when they had been around $2.  When the drought was over, cattle herds replenished, prices didn't come down.

U.S. sends beef to foreign countries.  Shortages increase prices.  Why create a false shortage by sending beef to other countries when China, Mexico and Canada can raise their own cattle.  Ranchers and farmers make more money, that's why. 

No doubt Covid caused supply chain shortages, but $19 for 3 lbs of beef???  It's all a scam. 

I have been boycotting beef for the above reasons. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow. I bought a 2.5 lb roast and it was under $7.00. Granted it was on sale.  Those prices are insane. That's why I buy lots of my meat at Costco. I got 6 New York steaks for around $40.

Honored Contributor

I would cut out a lot of things before beef.  I do look for sales, buy and freeze.

The cattle herds west of us haven't been sold down, but we are just a little east of the bad bad dought out west.  I'm sure that's why a lot of beef was sold off earlier from those places.  

Look at a drought map and you'll see why. 

Respected Contributor

How about the prices of meat and/or food products QVC sells.  Now those prices make grocery store prices look like a bargain!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

At 3 pounds that is about $6.50 a pound.  A Big Mac or other burger meal at McDonalds is about $6.  So you have to think where the money is best spent.

For me, I wouldn't have been irked enough not to get the roast. 

Agree, $6.50/lb isn't bad. I picked up some ground beef for 8.99/lb. this week. Frozen and delivered to my door. Excellent quality and taste and I don't venture into stores if I can help it.

A Quarter Pounder sandwich alone here is $4.29 so about $17/lb. 

Honored Contributor

I love beef but have learned that we don’t need to eat the portion size that many people consume.  I just bought a package of 4 top sirloin steaks at Costco the other day for close to $19.  I’ll actually get two meals from each steak so that makes them super budget friendly.  

Super Contributor

This past spring plain 80% hamburger was $9.99 a pound here. It was when the pandemic had started and everything was in short supply.  We didn't buy any.  Some of the prices have come down, but not to pre-pandemic levels.  Many of the stores are not having the number of specials they used to.

Respected Contributor
I bought ground chuck for $2.49 a pound and stew meat cubes for $4.49 a pound today. Those were sale prices and certainly did not offend me.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I noticed the same thing at the store this week too so we had corned beef and cabbage tonight at less than 1/2 the price of pot roast.  We knew snow and temps in the teens coming today so it was a perfect meal for the cold weather.cor.jpg