Esteemed Contributor

I know prices have been going up alot. But geez, I just wanted a small beef roast, not the whole cow.

DD went grocery shopping yesterday. I had a small chuck roast on the list to make veg beef soup.  She called and asked how bad I wanted to make soup. A small, just under 3 lbs., roast was $19.

I said forget it I'll make plain old vegetable soup.  We might use a lb. of ground chuck now and then so I haven't paid attention to recent beef prices. We eat a lot of chicken, DD's preference, and pork more often than beef. Pork around here is up but not like beef.

I suppose I could have spent the $19, cut it in half and frozen it, but it irked me so I didn't get it.

Honored Contributor

I have noticed that almost everything I buy is more expensive, not just meat. When ?I see a sale I stock up because it's getting ridiculous.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

At 3 pounds that is about $6.50 a pound.  A Big Mac or other burger meal at McDonalds is about $6.  So you have to think where the money is best spent.

For me, I wouldn't have been irked enough not to get the roast. 

Esteemed Contributor

My 98 year old mother doesn't get out much but she likes to buy beef at an upscale Italian grocery. She called me yesterday as if in shock at the prices. I never even asked if she bought anything. Her aide went to a cheaper store later in the day and bought a few things but Mom is very upset by all the price increases. Being a child of the Depression, my mother counts every penny, especially with an aide living with her. Mom just cannot reconcile what our cost-of-living is doing to her.

Honored Contributor

Definitely another good reason to cut back on meat consumption. 

Esteemed Contributor

At that price I would have bought two.  Seriously - not kidding.

$19 for Plus/Minus 3 pounds is lots lower than $24 - $34 packages I looked at - at Wegman's last week.

And consider how many meals you'll get out of a pot of soup.  Buying a T-bone steak (really high price)  you'll get only ONE meal.

Trusted Contributor

back in the day I bought this cut weekly as it was cheap and delicious when cooked slow....I to found it shocking for this cheap cut to be so pricey....I did not make my pot roast last weekend .....I as per my health can only eat red meat seldom....so next time a steak would probably be the same price Smiley Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

That's really not bad a price @CrazyKittyLvr2:  approx $6/lb - not bad for today's prices.  This past week our market had store-baked sandwich meats on sale:  $8/lb for their oven-roasted turkey breast and $7/lb for their baked ham.  Our local grocery store is known for their quality meats; and, checking other supermarkets around here, they're in line cost wise.

Everything is expensive.  I try and buy what's on-sale, but prices - even on potato chips - have skyrocketed!

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Definitely another good reason to cut back on meat consumption. 

Agree, @GenXmuse .  Unfortunately the veggie burgers, etc. have gone up in price too since more people are buying them (which, imho, is a good thing!).

Respected Contributor

That wasn't a great price but still not that bad. We probably eat more beef than a lot of people and I always try to buy the cuts I want when they are on special and I freeze them. We like to grill steak and our markets have T-bones regularly for around $5/lb. We get one 2 lb T-bone grill it for one meal and use the leftover for another meal of steak salad.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Just think - 3# of meat in a vegetable soup would feed two people for several days! That's pretty good!