Honored Contributor

Most of my adult life I have heard that for safety reasons you should always thaw your meat in the refrigerator.  Now, full disclosure, I don't do that, but that's just what I've always heard. Now, I just heard Mr. Rastelli say he thaws those TSV steaks on the counter.  I was surprised to hear that coming from a meat expert.  

I do know you want meat to come to room temp before cooking, but that is for better results cooking, not safety.  I do try to do that, but often forget until it is too late, like last night.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thawing Meat, What?

[ Edited ]

I always thaw meat on the counter since it takes too long in the refrigerator, but I don't let it reach room temperature.  I return it to the refrigerator when it's still cold.  I don't ever let it reach room temperature before cooking.

No one in my family became ill from doing it this way. 

Honored Contributor

I always thaw beef in the sink, then refrigerate or cook it as soon as it has thawed while is still cool.  I try to thaw poultry in the fridge but often stick it in the micro to thaw then immediately cook it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I also thaw everything on the counter - always have (51 years)!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Frequent Contributor

I can't remember where I found this but I use cold water bath - I just use a large bowl with tap water and put the meat in it.  The meat does not have to be totally covered with water - I just make sure I move it around as it defrots (make sure the meat is in a waterproof bag of some sort). 

Honored Contributor

I thaw meat on an aluminum cookie sheet.  It usually only takes a couple of hours and then I refrigerate it until I am ready to cook it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess - I'm sure you'll get all kinds of responses here, and you can certainly find all kinds more by searching the web, but one thing that differentiates the Rastelli steaks a bit in this case is the fact that they are individually vacuum sealed. That helps to keep them fresher longer if you thaw at room temperature rather than in the fridge.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually thaw meat in the refrigerator then take it out until it gets to room temperature then cook 👨‍🍳 

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I always thaw meat on the counter since it takes too long in the refrigerator, but I don't let it reach room temperature.  I return it to the refrigerator when it's still cold.  I don't ever let it reach room temperature before cooking.

Same here. I don't want to have to plan my meals two or more days in advance in order to thaw in the fridge.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Same here. I don't want to have to plan my meals two or more days in advance in order to thaw in the fridge.

@froggy that's me.  I don't plan my meals ahead.  I just know I had heard more than once that it wasn't a safe practice, but I do it anyways.