Esteemed Contributor

Guess I still channel Mom. Refrigerator only.  One benefit of that is you delay an additional day.

Honored Contributor

The only time I put it in the fridge to thaw is if I'm going to use it the next day or the day after.

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I have a pound of frozen ground beef in a freezer bag sitting in my dish drainer to thaw as I type this. Why my dish drainer? I dunno, that's just where I decided to put it.

@shaggygirl,  if your dish drainer is aluminum or other metal your are shortening the time needed for the meat to thaw. 

I often use a saved aluminum pie pan for smaller pieces of meat or even a large frying pan if the meat won't fit into a pie pan.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I have a pound of frozen ground beef in a freezer bag sitting in my dish drainer to thaw as I type this. Why my dish drainer? I dunno, that's just where I decided to put it.

@shaggygirl,  if your dish drainer is aluminum or other metal your are shortening the time needed for the meat to thaw. 

I often use a saved aluminum pie pan for smaller pieces of meat or even a large frying pan if the meat won't fit into a pie pan.

@Marp 

Well thank you for that interesting tidbit of information. From now on I'm going to do as you do with an aluminum pie pan if my dish drainer is already full of washed dishes. My dish drainer is metal but I have no idea what kind. 

Esteemed Contributor

I probably start thawing meat on the counter or in the sink 95% of the time - and finish thawing in the refrigerator if I have time. If not, it thaws in the sink. I've been doing this for over 50 years and am still alive and kicking! I wouldn't leave poultry sitting in the sink until it's fully thawed, but I do start it there.

I always bring steaks to room temperature (an hour) before we grill them. I give any other type of meat 30 minutes if I remember.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thawing Meat, What?

[ Edited ]

I thaw chicken in my microwave under the type of meat, then I enter the weight 10% less so it still has a little ice and edges don't cook.

I'll put a wrapped steak in a basin of cold water about 2 hours before grilling.

Large roasts get thawed in the refrigerator for 3 days, a 25 lb. turkey, 4 days and it will still have ice.

I have never thawed on the counter unless it was pastery.

@Icegoddess Apparently, Mr R is eating well done streaks, if not, he is playing with fire.

Regular Contributor

The best way to thaw meat quickly and safely (on the counter) is to put it in a cast iron skillet.  The metal draws the cold out of the meat and thaws it really quickly, so it is not on the counter for very long.  I have used this method for a long time and have thawed out steaks, ground meat, hamburger patties, chicken, fish and even tri-tip and london broil and roasts that way.  Does the job really quickly- thick steak thaws in about 1-2 hours.  Give it a try if  you have a cast iron pan!  Much safer than leaving it out on the counter all day.  Of course, once thawed, if not ready to cook yet, I put in the refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

I always plan enough in advance to thaw my turkey in the fridge (actually mark the calendar to remind myself).  If I think about it early enough, I might get our everyday meat out to do that but more often than not, I don’t. I’ll usually  get it out first thing and set it out on a plate, on the counter, in the sink, or inside the microwave until it’s thawed but still chilled.  Then I’ll set it in the fridge until it’s time to make dinner. We’ve never gotten sick. My mom always thawed hers the same way and my siblings do too.  Honestly I bet most people do. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I'm surprised some of you Food Network watching Foodies haven't posted Alton Brown's method.  Put meat in plastic bag and immerse in cold, not warm, water.  Turn occasionally, it only takes a couple hours and is safer.  He has proved scientifically that cold water works better than hot.  Maybe no one watches Food Network anymore?  

I do this If I’ve forgotten to take something out in the AM or if dinner plans change somewhat last minute.  .

Respected Contributor

.....or...you can spend $94.00 for a meat defroster tray that will have your meat ready in 28 minutes, lol!

E724E052-6448-4D64-98D7-01DA6D6E3A06.jpeg