Respected Contributor

I usually thaw the meat on the counter and then put it in the refrigerator.

If I am using the crock pot, I thaw it the previous day in the refrigerator and then put the meat in the microwave for a short time. I never microwave it til it is warm tho. Then I place in the microwave.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I always thaw meat on the counter since it takes too long in the refrigerator, but I don't let it reach room temperature.  I return it to the refrigerator when it's still cold.  I don't ever let it reach room temperature before cooking.

No one in my family became ill from doing it this way. 

This is what I always do too.  

Honored Contributor

My mother always kept it in the fridge to thaw out, never left it out.  So, I always did the same.  DH does most of the cooking now and he leaves it on the counter and this makes me nervous.  We have not gotten sick -- yet!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I try to thaw in the refrigerator, sometimes 2 days ahead of time if it's a large package.

If pressed for time, I'll thaw on the counter for an hour but then into the refrigerator.

Yes, I've heard many a [TV] chef say to bring meats to room temp before preparing. I do not always do that.

In "serious" baking, I always bring eggs to room temp.

It's probably more important to wash up properly afterward.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a pound of frozen ground beef in a freezer bag sitting in my dish drainer to thaw as I type this. Why my dish drainer? I dunno, that's just where I decided to put it.

Esteemed Contributor

I always thaw it in the fridge.  I've got hamburger in there now to make a meatloaf on Saturday.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I'm surprised some of you Food Network watching Foodies haven't posted Alton Brown's method.  Put meat in plastic bag and immerse in cold, not warm, water.  Turn occasionally, it only takes a couple hours and is safer.  He has proved scientifically that cold water works better than hot.  Maybe no one watches Food Network anymore?  

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I thaw meat on an aluminum cookie sheet.  It usually only takes a couple of hours and then I refrigerate it until I am ready to cook it.

Hi @tansy , I read long ago that thawing on some sort of metal platter like a cookie sheet speads up the thawing time and I agree, I have done it this way for years.  Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I'm surprised some of you Food Network watching Foodies haven't posted Alton Brown's method.  Put meat in plastic bag and immerse in cold, not warm, water.  Turn occasionally, it only takes a couple hours and is safer.  He has proved scientifically that cold water works better than hot.  Maybe no one watches Food Network anymore?  

@depglass Someone did mention thawing in water.  I don't think they specified cold water, but I do remember this method.  I sometimes do this if I'm trying to speed up the process.

Honored Contributor

It really is not the best idea to thaw meat or poultry on the counter. We either put it in the fridge the night before (and if for some reason it isn't totally thawed at cooking time, we defrost in the microwave for a small amount of time) or use the cold bath method. Yes, the water should be very cold.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland