Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE RIDICULOUS PRICE OF SALMON

@DiAnne wrote:

Copper River Salmon is wonderful.  I just checked at a local market and it is $49.99 a pound.  

You just made me feel better for spending $22/lb. Was a small gift to DS but yikes!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Copper River Salmon is wonderful.  I just checked at a local market and it is $49.99 a pound.  

@DiAnne 

Whoa!   That reads like a horror story!    Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

north georgia mountains

salmon6-2-22.jpg

I'm totally ignorant on the differences between Alaskan vs. Sockeye - wild caught vs. farm raised, processing & freezing, flavor, fishiness, etc.  

Any input/guidance would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Check Aldi's.  Only tried once, but the fresh salmon tail pieces were under 8.00 a lb.  Really good.  We are having sockeye for dinner tonight.  It was expensive and frozen.

Honored Contributor

@Katrinka23 wrote:

In my area, as it probably is in most areas, the price depends on whether it's farm raised or wild caught and where it was caught. I recently bought Faroe Island salmon and it was about $15.99 a pound but I bought it because I love salmon.  Also, I prefer to buy it with skin on rather than skinless because it has more flavor. The salmon that QVC has is too dry because they remove the skin!

@Katrinka23 

Perhaps you overcooked it.

I am on AD for Faroe from Q and eat it 2-3 times/week for years now.  I have a freezer full.

It is NEVER, ever dry!

We smoke it, bake it, AF it, poach it...success every single time.

Dry salmon is overcooked salmon I think.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Check Aldi's.  Only tried once, but the fresh salmon tail pieces were under 8.00 a lb.  Really good.  We are having sockeye for dinner tonight.  It was expensive and frozen.

@depglass 

Aldi's didn't have any stores in our area until recently.  Now, we have one, but I haven't been in it yet. 

I always thought Aldi's were hardware stores!  LOL

Honored Contributor

Approximately a year ago, my local Pavillions (an upscale Vons) had a special limited sale of very nice salmon .... just $5.99 a pound, limit 4 pounds per customer.    

If I had looked in my crystal ball, I would have found a way to buy more, and freeze it.

Honored Contributor

Included in the $49.99 price of Copper River salmon is airfare because it is wild caught and flown in fresh (not frozen) from Alaska. 

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Included in the $49.99 price of Copper River salmon is airfare because it is wild caught and flown in fresh (not frozen) from Alaska. 

I hope the salmon got first class seats and unlimited drinks at that price 😂

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I hope the salmon got first class seats and unlimited drinks at that price 😂

@Snowpuppy 

LOL ... and maybe a chauffered limo!  Woman LOL