Honored Contributor

THE RIDICULOUS PRICE OF SALMON

[ Edited ]

Okay, I know everything has gone up in price ... some prices are really a surprise. 

OTOH, at least the stores have product on the shelves, and the decision is usually buy .. or not buy.

However ... the prices of salmon lately actually made me ask the nice man behind the counter if there was a mistake in the pricing.    It's more than twice what it was about a year ago!

So, I'm wondering .... is it the same in your area?   

I never noticed before, but does salmon have a "season" when it's most plentiful?  

What is going on?

Honored Contributor

Re: THE RIDICULOUS PRICE OF SALMON

Yes, nation wide increases along with gas prices, crime, fentanyl od, and so on . The board guidelines does not allow us to discuss "what is going on".  Stay safe, calm, and strong.

Esteemed Contributor

It's one of the healthiest foods to eat. Keep buying it. It's worth the price just like the other higher prices.

We had a banner year on the stock market and can afford to pay more this year when you look at the big picture. Enjoy that salmon! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady   I'm so glad that you had a "banner year". in the stock market.  You are one of the few.  The good news....you can afford your salmon, enjoy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Life for a least the next few years is no longer going to be "as we know it."  Get ready.  It's coming. 

ETA: At least for some of us. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know what the usual price of salmon is, it's not something I'd normally buy until a few months back.  I ordered the Egg Harbor TSV, thought it was high but others were commenting that it was a decent price.  Now I'm glad I locked in the A/D for a couple more shipments.  

Super Contributor

In my area, as it probably is in most areas, the price depends on whether it's farm raised or wild caught and where it was caught. I recently bought Faroe Island salmon and it was about $15.99 a pound but I bought it because I love salmon.  Also, I prefer to buy it with skin on rather than skinless because it has more flavor. The salmon that QVC has is too dry because they remove the skin!

Respected Contributor

@Katrinka23  That is an excellent price for Faroe Island salmon. I spend 21.99 a pound.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There has been an ongoing decrease in the numbers of salmon globally available for market. Combined with a higher demand for quality protein/nutrients, higher fuel prices and the cost of logistics it takes to keep from spoiling has driven the cost way up.

Super Contributor

Wild caught can salmon  is still affordable.

My mother makes salmon patties atleast twice a week.

one can of salmon

2 eggs

5 to 7 drops hot sauce

1/2 cup cornbread mix

1/2 cup pancake mix

chopped onion and pepper

also a little salsa, worchestershire on oinion powder could ve added.

cook in skillet using oilve oil and butter blend in medium heat.

Floral Pillow