Trusted Contributor

"...hand I used the milk we had in the refrigerator that had expired just the day before. We normally use milk several days past the expiration date so I didn't smell the milk before I used it. My husband went to use the milk a few hours later and said it was bad and had to throw it out."

Milk generally does not go bad the day after its 'sell by date'. The SBD is the date the store must remove the product from its shelf. It doesn't mean the product is bad thereafter (mine usually is fresh up to a week beyond the SBD). Was the milk left out of the fridge an extended period of time after using it to make your bread, i.e., mistakenly left out on the kitchen counter in a warm environment? If yes, perhaps the milk subsequently spoiled. But if the bread tastes okay, I wouldn't discard it. And if you didn't get sick after eating it, chances are in your favor that you aren't going to get sick! Enjoy the fruit of your labor!!!

FYI, this is a good site for an understanding of 'use by/sell by dates':

http://www.quicklabel.com/blog/2011/05/sell-by-date-use-by-date-and-expiration-date-labels-%e2%80%93...

“Sell-By” Date – What does that mean?

The “sell-by” term you often see on food product labels refers to the last day that a retailer can have the product on display on a store shelf. It is believed that food items are safe to eat for up to 10 days after the “sell-by” date, if kept properly stored.

Meat and Poultry usually have “sell-by” dates to look for. If you do not intend to use the meat you purchase within 1 or 2 days of purchasing it, it is recommended that you freeze it. The same recommendation pertains to poultry within in 3 to 5 days of its purchase. By freezing these items you can keep them fresh for up to a year.

Dairy and eggs also have “sell-by” dates to be aware of. Once purchased proper refrigeration temperatures is 40 degrees and warned against leaving the items out of the refrigerator for long periods of time.

Milk should last 5 to 7 days after the sell by date, while cheeses can range up to two weeks after the sell by date for soft cheeses such as cream cheese or Brie. For harder cheeses such as cheddar or Romano, shelf life is anywhere from three to six months after the sell by date, if stored properly. To keep foods fresh, refrigerator temperatures are recommended to be 40 degrees Fahrenheit or lower.

Dates listed on egg cartons are sometimes confused with expiration dates. These dates are guidelines for consumers after the point of purchase. Eggs are edible raw for up to 5 weeks after the date as long as they are not cracked or damaged in anyway....hand I used the milk we had in the refrigerator that had expired just the day before. We normally use milk several days past the expiration date so I didn't smell the milk before I used it. My husband went to use the milk a few hours later and said it was bad and had to throw it out. "

Frequent Contributor

You all have been so helpful - THANK YOU! I really appreciate it - and I, to quote one of the posters, will "enjoy the fruits" of my labor. Thanks for the peace of mind. Best to all of you.