Frequent Contributor

Good Morning,

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, but I need to know, so here goes... I baked bread yesterday (for the first time, woo hoo!). It called for a 1/4 cup of milk and I used the milk we had in the refrigerator that had expired just the day before. We normally use milk several days past the expiration date so I didn't smell the milk before I used it. My husband went to use the milk a few hours later and said it was bad and had to throw it out. Now I'm worried because I used it in the bread. I had a small piece of the bread before knowing and my husband had 2 pieces. Questions: Should I throw out the bread? I was hoping that the cooking temperature (350 degrees) would maybe have gotten rid of any bacteria, etc... Can we get sick from having eaten the bread? Thanks for reading. Be well.

Occasional Contributor

Hope for the best. Be positive and yeah its happen many times that some types of bacteria unable to dead even after 350 degree temperature. I suggest you to consult with physician.

Honored Contributor

I think that if there was something wrong with the bread, your body would have told you by now since you ate it. I say enjoy the bread. And just say you were making sourdough bread.

PS - Several days ago I got an email from Sam's Club. It said that the Kraft cottage cheese
I bought was being recalled and to bring the container into Sam's Club for a full refund. WELL, I ate much of the cottage cheese and had no ill effect. And you figure it was recalled and I still am OK.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure it was okay.

Esteemed Contributor

Some dishes call for sour milk - don't believe 'bad' milk will ever kill you - just gets nasty and gloppy - and the baking temperature would kill any and all germs (if there is such a thing).

Trusted Contributor

At worst, the bread would have tasted bad. You would have noticed had it been an issue.

American-style bread (containing milk) generally reaches between 195 and 210 degrees when baking. Any bacteria would have been killed at this point. Do not worry about it.

Honored Contributor

The bread is fine. When I find that our milk is bad, I use it to make cornbread or biscuits, since I do not buy buttermilk---I do not pour bad milk down the drain. This is not a big deal in my book.

Respected Contributor

What you have used is "blinky milk". This is milk that has just begun to sour, and it's perfectly fine to use it in baking. Some recipies even specify it (pancakes, biscuits).

Was the milk in a plastic jug? I find that many times the milk is not bad, but the milk collected in the grooves at the top of the jug has gone bad and that's what smells. Try transferring the milk to another container to extend it's life. Some kind of pitcher that doesn't have grooves at the top.

Super Contributor

People drink butter milk all the time. Curdled milk. It will not hurt you at all.

Respected Contributor

Milk that has started to spoil won't hurt you. I remember a guy in the neighborhood when I was a kid - he had been in a concentration camp in Germany, and if his wife left out a bottle of one of their kids' milk and it got so sour it curdled he'd eat it with a spoon - he remembered the days when it would have been a treat to have even that and couldn't bear to see it wasted. {#emotions_dlg.crying} It never had an adverse effect on him.

Now, I don't know for sure, but don't some cheeses start out with milk that has gone sour? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}