Honored Contributor

@ECBG

We have quite a few Farmer Markets.  I like to buy tomatoes (nothing better than those that are freshly grown), the cucumbers actually have flavor compared to those found in the grocery store which have no flavor at all, I also like to buy yellow squash, russet potatoes, onions, jalepenos.....
_

I dont like a well known Farmers Market that is mostly prepared food that is offered rather than produce....I want the fresh produce....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@ECBG@What state do you live in.....love that little produce stand.

Esteemed Contributor

ECBG - my dad grew up in Smokey Mountains. Our Midwest friends could count on buttermilk being in our fridge. He would crumble cornbread, slice onions and cukes and pour buttermilk in the bowl. Better than dessert for him. Yes, our downtown has a lovely farmer's market, open twice a week. 

Photo of Lee's Summit Farmer's Market - Lee's Summit, MO, United States

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

I went to my local farmers market this morning and bought half of a jewish apple cake.  The same lady is always there who makes homemade cakes and they are all delicious.

Honored Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

I went to my local farmers market this morning and bought half of a jewish apple cake.  The same lady is always there who makes homemade cakes and they are all delicious.

@giddy upI've never heard of a Jewish apple cake.  What's in it please?Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

ECBG - my dad grew up in Smokey Mountains. Our Midwest friends could count on buttermilk being in our fridge. He would crumble cornbread, slice onions and cukes and pour buttermilk in the bowl. Better than dessert for him. Yes, our downtown has a lovely farmer's market, open twice a week. 

Photo of Lee's Summit Farmer's Market - Lee's Summit, MO, United States

@jeanlakeLooks yummy!  What state did he grow up in?Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This is the way I shop all the time! Farmer's markets are abundant here. I haven't bought produce in a supermarket since I moved here 3 years ago. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

The vegetables in this picture would not be available in Pa til much later in the summer. 

Here in Florida we currently have fruits like berries, peaches, plums arriving at the farm markets, plus I noticed brussel sprouts, asparagus , videlia onions and various varieties of beans, cantelope and pineapples.

Valued Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@giddy up wrote:

@giddy upI've never heard of a Jewish apple cake.  What's in it please?Smiley Happy

All I can tell you is apples, cinnamon and cake matter.

Honored Contributor

@dexThat one is in the small little town of Hendersonville, N. C.