Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@ECBG  I have not been to the bakery but after seeing this picture will definitely have to go  if we make it thru there again. It looks wonderful. The times my husband and I have been to the mountains was of course fall foilage and Blue ridge parkway. Everything is so fresh, the air, the food. I look at those colors on the parkway and it is as if you can reach out and touch the hand of God. 

I am not a huge eggnog drinker but the best eggnog I have ever had was sold at a grocer here( The Fresh Market), which is not a farmers mark

. It was made in the blue ridge mountains in virginia called Homestead creamery. 

By the way, did you guys have any mudslides or damage  from all the rain several days ago. 

@webbgarner1,Yes, thank you for asking.  We had several bad situations  because of the mountains ans driver swelling near little country homes which they've been working on.  One woman lost her life.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG  I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you guys stay safe.  I saw on our local news how hard you guys were hit with rock slides and flooding. 

A couple of times when husband and I went to the mountains, we stayed in a little cabin in Chandler,nc so pituresque. It had a stream right beside the cabin.

Once when we went to the mountains we got a very late evening start against my wishes. It was one of those dark rainy misty foggy nights by the time we got to Charlotte. A few hours later when coming thru the mountains, we literally could not see the road due to dense fog. It was like soup. I was totally a nervous wreck, just knew we were going to fly off of the side of the mountain. We stopped at the first hotel we came upon.

Being from " the flatlands" those conditions are frightening. Thank the Lord, he looked after us.

As crazy as our drivers are here in the sandhills during ice and snow, I can not imagine trying to do it on those mountain roads. 

Many years ago I graduated high school with a friend who  decided to go to college in Boone. She never returned to this area, still lives in the Mountains now. 

You guys are blessed to live in such a beautiful place.

If I made any bad typos please forbive me, had a treatment on my eyes today.

Take care. 

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1I'm sorry you had an issue.  Where I nwent to college up further in the mountains, there is an inversion.  You couldn't get anywhere without going through this area!  It was as slick as glass before anywhere around it.  Years befor I was in college a young girl lost her life in a wreck there.  Her father whom was well to do, errected a giant lit cross on one of the mountains overlooking the inversion.  When weather was bad, it litterally appeared to hang in the sky.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/05/26/answer-man-will-mount-lyn-lowry-cross-shin...

Honored Contributor

There are two Farmer's Markets in the city I live in but the produce has to be trucked in and it is not plentiful.  Lots crafts, homemade jams, pizzas, etc.  The local market has local strawberries, raspberries, cherries, etc that are picked that morning so that is nice.  I do venture to the next town in August when the tomato man is there.  Nothing tastes like a ripe out of the garden tomato.  

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG  What a beautiful story of the mount Lyn Lowry cross. I had not heard of it. Thanks for sharing. I do remeber seeing a large cross along the way, but I am thinking it was a different area, maybe around the Billy Graham training center. 

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@ECBG  What a beautiful story of the mount Lyn Lowry cross. I had not heard of it. Thanks for sharing. I do remeber seeing a large cross along the way, but I am thinking it was a different area, maybe around the Billy Graham training center. 

@webbgarner1Very welcome.  I just have to share the actual story of how I noticed it.  

My first college roomate was my best friend since I was 14.  We did everything in high school.  She lost her father to a heart attack at Thanksgiving.  I actually stayed with her family and ran the kitchen for them since she and I were so close.

I was being driven back to school and it was pitch black and foggy.  I happened to look over and that cross was literally hanging in the air!  My heart definately took a leap!  I was18.