Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

We don’t have farmers markets here in the summer. The veggies and fruit would shrivel and wilt after about an hour. We do have some in the winter months. 

There actually are some farmers markets in the Phoenix area that are open now @Meowingkitty. Google for locations. I've been buying awesome tomatoes and corn all month.

Esteemed Contributor

We have Farmers Markets throughout the Midwest, as well as large farms that open up their own produce markets in the summer. Nothing like the fresh tomatoes, sweet corn, melons, peaches, cucumbers, zucchini....all of it! I count the days for the homegrown tomatoes to be available!

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@ECBG-------where I grew up (New England) individual households would grow different things. Whether it was tomatoes, corn, flowers, squash , etc.

there always seemed to be an excess. Wooden box stands would sit at the end of most driveways and they would be stocked with whatever the home grower had extra of when they picked that morning. 

No haggling about cost.....the prices , for each item, would be written on little pieces of cardboard and an empty jar was left on the table in which you would leave your payment and take change. Hardly ever saw a person.

To this day, even though I live in NJ, that's still how we buy hay and feed for our animals....go to a barn 24/7, take what we need and leave cash in a box left by the owner whom I have never met !

@Danky

We still have complete farm stands with all kinds of veggies here that are set up this way. I always hope that people are honest and don't steal. 

Honored Contributor

We grow most of our own fruits and veggies in the summer. Our garden is big, and we have quite a few kinds of fruit in our little orchard (4 types apples, 2 types pears, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, grapes). It's a lot of work but we still enjoy the fresh produce. It's just kind of a bummer that it only lasts a few months.

Honored Contributor

We have four locations in our town.  One is open on Tues. and Thurs. and the other three are only opened on Sat. mornings until noon.  April until Sept. for all.  Plus one of our locally owned grocery stores has an outdoor Farmers Market that sales the local fare as well.  Ups the price a bit so I just usually go to actual Farmers Market closest to me.  Love them.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG  Love that picture,  love all of the fresh garden veggies  and farmers markets. Love Hendersonville and asheville, I am in the Sandhills.

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@ECBG  Love that picture,  love all of the fresh garden veggies  and farmers markets. Love Hendersonville and asheville, I am in the Sandhills.

@webbgarner1,If you love hendersonville, do you love McFarlan's Bakery?  How many people still have this?

Image result for mcfarland's bakery hendersonville north carolina

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG  I have not been to the bakery but after seeing this picture will definitely have to go  if we make it thru there again. It looks wonderful. The times my husband and I have been to the mountains was of course fall foilage and Blue ridge parkway. Everything is so fresh, the air, the food. I look at those colors on the parkway and it is as if you can reach out and touch the hand of God. 

I am not a huge eggnog drinker but the best eggnog I have ever had was sold at a grocer here( The Fresh Market), which is not a farmers mark

. It was made in the blue ridge mountains in virginia called Homestead creamery. 

By the way, did you guys have any mudslides or damage  from all the rain several days ago. 

Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I shop them all the time. Here they never went out of style but not nearly as trendy as the photos.  

Tended by members of family farmers they can explain their offerings as well as how to cook, prepare and store.

I get my milk there, too. In a glass 1/2 gallon bottle. Non hemogenized with cream at the top. Organic from a local family dairy. Tastes like milk should taste.

Oh how I envy you being able to buy your milk like that.. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@webbgarner1,If you love hendersonville, do you love McFarlan's Bakery?  How many people still have this?

Image result for mcfarland's bakery hendersonville north carolina

Ours has been here since 1948 same location same name.  Still remember the birthday cakes Mom got there every year when I was growing up.  Just stopped by a couple of weeks ago to get my granddaughter a cupcake.  It is also where I stopped to pick up a sweet treat for my son and dil right after the birth in 2014. 

Village Bakery, Tyler, TX

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."