Contributor

My question is I just discovered that my pyrex 8 inch square pan has a few little chips in it. I was wondering if it is safe to use? Thanks

Valued Contributor

I wouldn""t use anything w/chips in it.

Honored Contributor
I LOVE Pyrex, and have a few very nice WW2 era pieces that I can still use. I ONLY use it for baking in low heat, NEVER on stovetop of any kind. I have experienced a couple " exploding Pyrex" experiences because of my own ignorance of the product, including a very old 9 cup Pyrex coffee pot. I "retire" pieces with visible chips.
Trusted Contributor

I would never used a chip dish, what if it chips a bit more in your food?

Honored Contributor

The chips will weaken the glass, and could cause breakage. I wouldn't use it for that reason, as well as I'm always afraid glass will end up in food.

Esteemed Contributor

Those chips are letting you know it's time for a new one.

I have a lot of Pyrex products, from measuring cups to baking dishes. One or two, no chips that I know of, have shattered. One was in the dishwasher and the other had just come out of the oven.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I disagree with everyone. Smiley Happy If they're small chips on the edge it means something probably banged them. I sand them down until they are smooth and never think twice about it.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor
On 3/11/2015 debc said:

I disagree with everyone. Smiley Happy If they're small chips on the edge it means something probably banged them. I sand them down until they are smooth and never think twice about it.

This is a common practice, and many people do this and get many years of service out of a dish with no complications.

It is really up to the individual, and I think if it is a much older piece, from the 70's or before, it might be strong enough to get away with this, I have known many people who have done this in the past.

I, personally don't. If I sanded it down (they make little files for just this purpose), I wouldn't put it in the oven again.

Esteemed Contributor

I never heard of sanding Pyrex. debc, you are truly resourceful!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Never, never place a 'hot' Pyrex (or other brand) dish on a 'cold' counter! Thousands of exploded chards of glass years ago. ALWAYS PLACE HOT ITEMS ON AN OVEN MIT, THICK TOWEL, THICK PLACE MAT, (and whatever else is thick). Never on a cold counter or cold surface, including cold trivets.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).