Regular Contributor

Re: Pantry Storage : Looking for other Options besides Lock N Lock

Check out Tupperware.  I used to do parties 30 years ago and I am going back to them.  Never had any complaints from my party hosts.  Everyone loved their products.  I still have a little tool that has a long handle on it and a half moon that is specifically designed to remove tomato paste.  They might be more expensive, but you can't beat the quality.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1   I have a few OXO containers and have to say I am happy with them.  My hubby is a cereal nut and he likes to empty a box of cereal in these to keep it fresh.  I believe they work well , I also use them for my coffee grounds (I buy big bags at the big box store) seems also to work well.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1   All of my storage is LnL except one.  I bought the OXO tall container for my spaghetti.  My only concern is that the OXO may crack or break if dropped.

Respected Contributor

I bought Ball jars, quart size, to store cut shellac, but only used a few of the dozen. I then decided to store kibble in the unused ones, but realized the half-gallon size were better. Bought a case of them and replaced those annoying two-part canning lids with Ball's screw-on plastic lids. That worked and it's what I'm using. The lids can be hard to find, but my supermarket had them at a good price.

The OXO containers look good. I'd read the Amazon reviews before buying. I liked the Ball jars because they were a relatively cheap solution.

Honored Contributor

I have tons of Lock and Lock and I also use half gallon mason jars for dry storage. 

I really like both. 

I think if I was forced to choose just one, it would be hard, but I'd probably pick the half gallon mason jars, because they can be vacuum sealed for truly air tight storage, while the lock and lock seals in some air with the product, as there is no way to evacuate it. 

I like the look of mason jars in storage areas like a pantry as well, and in my personal opinion, there really isn't any healthier option for food storage than glass. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Whitney400  I still use my Tupperware green colander...Got in in 1975 and it's still going strong!

Honored Contributor

I have a variety of Mason jars in all sizes that I use for pastas and rices. I have L- n-L too but have noticed the the tabs on the lids are breaking off. I also have OLD tupperware containers too, that hold my baking stuff. and then lots of canisters with the silicone lids for other things. My hubs got those tall square jars filled wth nuts as xmas gifts from sub contractors  that are great---have some open shelves in my kitchen where I keep them---look nice on display and easy to get to.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

I have two big Lock Lock containers for flour and sugar.  I've replaced the rest of the containers I had with Pyrex lidded bowls of various sizes.  I like the sturdy glass and the plastic lids.  Lots of cute patterns, too. 

They stack well, and smaller bowls can nest in the bigger ones.

I also have many Lock N Lock but also bought the Pyrex Snapware. I use the Pyrex all the time. In fact I did a purge of much of my plastic containers.

I like the Pyrex. Certain people in our house have been able to "melt" plastic containers, even though they were microwave proof. But there is no melting with the Pyrex. And because they are glass, there is no staining.

I actually went out and bought a second set of the Pyrex Snapware because I like them so much.

I have done the same, no plastic containers left.  I feel glass is more sanitary, doesnt stain and comes in lots of sizes @drizzellla @alicedee 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Many of my LNL pantry containers are old and really starting to discolor, seals not great anymore.

I cleaned, purged and organized my pantry during the weeks home.  As I'm using up a "staple" stored in older LNL I've been tossing container.  (I only have a few left)

Everything always stayed "bug free" (Fl is known for its bugs😡) and fresh in LNL and I transfer everything from its original

box into LNL, when possible. Plus, they are priced right! 

My question -

I was thinking of using Ball glass jars or OXO storage containers for pastas, rice, bread crumbs, etc.  

I would prefer to replace with LNL but haven't seen pantry sets w/flip lid tops in awhile.  

Does anyone use jars or OXO pantry storage pieces? OXO are expensive (even w coupon).  I own a few but not sure of "freshness" factor since I use for my flour and sugar and use it quickly, so can't judge how well freshness keeps.

Opinions or suggestions I would appreciate.  I will be restocking pantry soon, so will need alternatives.  

A1EAEDFA-D1D8-4FC1-A5E0-11FF4F0DA8DA.jpeg

OXO rules ! great stuff. Bed & Bath, use coupon.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  I have all LNL, except for one piece. A relative gave me a  Better Homes flour container as a gift, and I really like it. It has the flip top that extracts the air like the Oxo.

Better Homes & Gardens Flip Tite Food Storage Set, 3 Canisters