Honored Contributor

Pantry Storage : Looking for other Options besides Lock N Lock

[ Edited ]

Many of my LNL pantry containers are old and really starting to discolor, seals not great anymore.

I cleaned, purged and organized my pantry during the weeks home.  As I'm using up a "staple" stored in older LNL I've been tossing container.  (I only have a few left)

Everything always stayed "bug free" (Fl is known for its bugs😡) and fresh in LNL and I transfer everything from its original

box into LNL, when possible. Plus, they are priced right! 

My question -

I was thinking of using Ball glass jars or OXO storage containers for pastas, rice, bread crumbs, etc.  

I would prefer to replace with LNL but haven't seen pantry sets w/flip lid tops in awhile.  

Does anyone use jars or OXO pantry storage pieces? OXO are expensive (even w coupon).  I own a few but not sure of "freshness" factor since I use for my flour and sugar and use it quickly, so can't judge how well freshness keeps.

Opinions or suggestions I would appreciate.  I will be restocking pantry soon, so will need alternatives.  

A1EAEDFA-D1D8-4FC1-A5E0-11FF4F0DA8DA.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pantry Storage : Looking for other Options besides Lock N Lock

@homedecor1 - I'll keep my answer short and sweet: I have both and definitely prefer Lock & Lock; I feel like it does a better job, and as you noted, it is cheaper. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I dont have any LNL so I cant speak to those but I like the looks of the OXO Good Grips. They look like they have a substantial seal and stack nicely. Is that a perfect 5 star rating, looks like it.

Honored Contributor

I haven't used L&L for at least 5 years.  They got old and I thought there were better and more modern things out.  I do use the pop ones, some sistema for flour and sugar, and some glass jars.  

Container Store has an amazing selection and lots of ideas.

Respected Contributor

I have two big Lock Lock containers for flour and sugar.  I've replaced the rest of the containers I had with Pyrex lidded bowls of various sizes.  I like the sturdy glass and the plastic lids.  Lots of cute patterns, too. 

They stack well, and smaller bowls can nest in the bigger ones.

Honored Contributor

I like the XOXO brand better. Sturdier and the tops fit better. The ones on my lock and lock don't seem to close properly after awhile and it feels cheap. 

Honored Contributor

Every single thing I have in storage containers are in L&L containers! There is no better product on the market whatsoever. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 I keep my backup flour and sugar, cake and brownie mixes in larger lnl containers keeping them in their own containers.  Anything "open" and smaller-  Baking powder, soda, cereal- in glass mason jars.  I have a couple OXO that I keep pasta in. 

The shape of the LnL stores better but its "soft" plastic that can leech into food.  I prefer glass or a harder plastic.  Just my thoughts. 

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 fyi...Lots of my OXO comes from Marshalls/Homegoods.  They have great prices.  (very dangerous store for me to go to!)  I think they're starting to re-open now. 

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

I have two big Lock Lock containers for flour and sugar.  I've replaced the rest of the containers I had with Pyrex lidded bowls of various sizes.  I like the sturdy glass and the plastic lids.  Lots of cute patterns, too. 

They stack well, and smaller bowls can nest in the bigger ones.

I also have many Lock N Lock but also bought the Pyrex Snapware. I use the Pyrex all the time. In fact I did a purge of much of my plastic containers.

I like the Pyrex. Certain people in our house have been able to "melt" plastic containers, even though they were microwave proof. But there is no melting with the Pyrex. And because they are glass, there is no staining.

I actually went out and bought a second set of the Pyrex Snapware because I like them so much.