Honored Contributor

Re: Pantry Storage : Looking for other Options besides Lock N Lock

I am late responding but I'll post anyway. 

I tried Lock N Lock years ago.  I didn't care for it and gave it all away. It was just too bulky for me. 

I use Tupperware (actual Tupperware brand) and also use Lustroware from The Container Store.  I have quite a bit of each.

I had some pieces of the OXO with the pop lids, but got rid of those because you can't wash the lids. 

Oh,  I also have some Martha Stewart Sistema pieces from Macy's that I LOVE. I don't have many but the sizes I have I love.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

I wish we had a Container Store near us.  In PA I've been to one and it's like for me going into a candy store😉

Yes, I saw you can't submerge tops but that's OK.  I wipe them down after each use.  

I went to Target, WM today very few selections in "storage" section.

I did buy a case of Ball jars.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased a large box of Kirkland Soft & Chewy (chocolate chip) Granola Bars over 5 years ago - and stored in LocknLock - and put in my pantry. I only eat one occasionally -- and they're still FRESH. Go LocknLock.

My pantry and freezer are full of L&L.

Trusted Contributor

I think the L&L containers are a decent value, though not as well made as the ones they used to sell in stores a decade or more ago. I have learned to expect a certain amount of warpage and tab breakage, so I try to only buy sets that use the same size lids--that way the containers don't become completely useless when the lid goes. 

I know the OP asked about pantry storage--IMO, all L&L is good for that and Q usually has a ton of size options. In addition, I've really been liking the tritan and glass containers for the fridge. They really are very practical for keeping cold food fresh and accessible, and cleaning up well. In time, the lids will be the point of failure, but I should get a few years out of them, and the glass or tritan bodies might remain useful anyway. 

I'm appreciating some of the different sizes and shapes offered in these lines, too. There's a set of long, skinny containers that fit perfectly in my counter-depth fridge, and they live there permanently, holding sometimes meat or cheese, sometimes long veggies, definitely extending the freshness of the food.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 - Just to add a bit to my earlier post, one of the reasons I don't like the OXO containers as much is because I've had several lids break (the pop-up part stops functioning so they no longer seal) and they are not fixable. OXO customer service is pretty good, so I've had two lids replaced, but it's really just not worth the hassle for me anymore. And it seems that I might be in the minority, but I have dozens of Lock & Lock pieces and have never had a single tab break over the 12 years I've been buying them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

I purchased a large box of Kirkland Soft & Chewy (chocolate chip) Granola Bars over 5 years ago - and stored in LocknLock - and put in my pantry. I only eat one occasionally -- and they're still FRESH. Go LocknLock.

My pantry and freezer are full of L&L.

I hear ya!  I tell people this kind of thing and I think they are hard-pressed to believe me.    Some of mine are cracker-type snacks and numerous different things that I buy but take a very long time to use, or I buy a couple of them if they are on sale or I have a coupon.  Put them into L&L and they practically last forever.

I also use it for bread.   If you don't know me, you don't know this - I am VERY, VERY food-neurotic.  I had to eat rotten and moldy foods throughout my childhood.  So I'm so picky it's crazy.   Also super picky about freshness, for obvious reasons.   My bread stays perfectly good for at least 17 days in a L&L.  Before L&L I would have to get rid of what's left after just 3-4 days.   But I have no problem using a loaf of bread for over 2 weeks and beyond.  I put it in a lower, cool corner of kitchen, cabinet.

I have stuff like nuts and seeds that will stay good practically forever.   I could go on.  Heck, I could write a book!  (but it would be boring Smiley Very Happy)  hehe

I think that some types of containers sell themselves as though they are airtight and liquid-tight but they are not.  These are.   One good test, at least for liquid-tight (which, if a given container is not liquid-tight it will not be airtight) is to put a little water in a nice, dry container.  Seal it up.  Then put it upside down on the counter and see if any water leaks out.  L&L is the only one for which this does not happen.

I also like some of the other brands mentioned, but NOT for airtight use.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Like the new OXO Good Grips POP containers - airtight food storage. Also, like Rubbermaid Brilliance Storage containers. I especially like the fact that both of these container brands are clear not just translucent.  Neither are inexpensive, unfortunately. It's also frustrating to me that it's often difficult to purchase just the size or sizes you want. You often have to get a number of containers in a size you don't want to get some in a size you do want.