Honored Contributor

Re: Pantry Storage : Looking for other Options besides Lock N Lock

@ID2 wrote:

Every single thing I have in storage containers are in L&L containers! There is no better product on the market whatsoever. 

ITA.  I've tried samples of other products that are supposed to be the same and they just are not.  Everything stored in my kitchen is either in L&L or vacuum-sealed.   Those are the two very best choices.

I don't understand how some folks are having problems with theirs becoming non-functional.   I have numerous pieces that have been in constant, daily, use for over 15 years and they still work just as well.  I'm not talking about just having stuff in them sitting there.  I'm talking every single day I'm in and out of those containers.   

The only ones I've had that got problems were user error, such as dropping one out of the freezer.  I got much better at being careful after I did that a couple of times. But that was totally my fault.  It's plastic.  Plastic gets more rigid if you freeze it.  Drop it on a tile floor and it WILL break.  Lesson learned.   Smiley Happy 

Also, I don't put mine in the microwave.  I know they say 'micro safe' but they are wrong.   That type of material will end up peeling, pitting, staining, and finally just dying with microwave use.  Didn't we learn that with Tupperware?    I have some glass L&L that is great for that use, though.

Honored Contributor

I would go with widemouth glass canning jars.   Unless you break one, they don’t age and deteriorate like plastic containers.   

Honored Contributor

I'd look on amazon.  Glass is so pretty and my favorite look, but it can be heavy.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I would go with widemouth glass canning jars.   Unless you break one, they don’t age and deteriorate like plastic containers.   

Forgot to note in my endorsement of the Ball jars that they were all wide mouth. Really handy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all!!

Today was a banner day for shopping.  Finally, bought a new bed w/adjustable frame.  Figured what the heck let me head to Bed Bath and Beyond (coupons in hand🙂) and check out OXO.

I bought a few but the cost even w/coupons was expensive.  My old lock n locks really don't have the "seal" tightness they used to.  The ones without flip tops are fine.

I ended up buying some mason jars at Michael's.

I came home full of energy to really purge/clean pantries and spice cabinet.  I also cleaned out unused bakeware and cookware (ready for donation center drop off).

I forgot I bought the spice containers (❤️❤️❤️).

I will wait to replace my older LNL since the cost of OXO and maybe LNL pantry set w/o flip lids will come back soon🤞🏻

****** After putting the rest of the pantry stuff in the OXO containers I'm loving them & will slowly purchase them.  🙂🙂🙂

Honored Contributor

Yeah, those flip-top/spout types are not a good choice.  I have a couple that came in sets but anything I want in an airtight container I won't put in those.

In general, OXO is always a very good brand so I hope you enjoy what you purchased.  I have numerous OXO tool-type items in my kitchen and I wouldn't be without them.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I've used the few L&L flip top containers that I have for under the sink storage of my dishwasher pods.  I also use one in my laundry room to keep my Tide pods.  

I never found that they kept any food fresh.  I tried to use them for cookies and crackers and they immediately went stale within just a short time.

I was all set to donate them when I suddenly got the idea of using them for all of my pods.   As long as you don't have any small children around they work perfectly for dishwasher and laundry use.   

As others have stated, the OXO products are really great.  I have many of their storage containers along with their kitchen gadgets.  

Honored Contributor

Went back to Bed, Bath & Beyond bought several different sizes of the OXO pop ups, scrub daddy and scoops.  

I used all my good coupons $10 off, $5 off & 20% off. I haven't looked to see how it worked out but I spent $82.48 (w/tax) and after all coupons total was $34.27.

I love the cashier is great at using my coupons the best way to save the most $$$!!!

I wanted a few of a certain size but they were out of stock.  They said I could order online and use coupons, free shipping 🙂🙂🙂

Honored Contributor

I use both lock and lock and glass.

...I find Lock n Lock to be a pain to store and I have had several tabs split.  I have always liked glass for storage, and when I have needed to replace I look for glass.  I do have a few pyrex glass rectangle containers....I have found that the plastic lids crack, sigh.

Valued Contributor

I prefer rubbermaid. They are bpa free and seal tight. They are easier to open, and lids don't break like lnl.I use mason jars for dehydrated food.