Trusted Contributor

I posted this on facebook during in ITKWD. ""Kathy CrockettCan we please get some cookware that doesn't have PTFE or POAF? Some of us do not wish to purchase items with this. Why not sell Pressure Cookers without the non stick coatings David Venable QVC. Feeling frustrated"". David Veneable liked it. Wow!

Contributor
On 3/12/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
You don't have to buy stainless steel the PFOA free bottles are what you should have. I always used to buy Poland Springs water but not any longer. I invested in a ZERO water pitcher, they come in sizes, and come with a tester to check the contaminants in tap water and any bottled water. You would be shocked to find out what the readings I got from tap and bottled water.

I've been using the Zero Water Filtration since 2003. I fill up my glass jugs at a reverse osmosis water station and then I also filter the jugs of water in my Zero Water System. This makes the filters last a lot longer and my water is wonderful! When the reading gets to 003, I change the filters. I have the 3 gallon dispenser. I will never be without it.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/15/2015 CharmTx said:
On 3/12/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
You don't have to buy stainless steel the PFOA free bottles are what you should have. I always used to buy Poland Springs water but not any longer. I invested in a ZERO water pitcher, they come in sizes, and come with a tester to check the contaminants in tap water and any bottled water. You would be shocked to find out what the readings I got from tap and bottled water.

I've been using the Zero Water Filtration since 2003. I fill up my glass jugs at a reverse osmosis water station and then I also filter the jugs of water in my Zero Water System. This makes the filters last a lot longer and my water is wonderful! When the reading gets to 003, I change the filters. I have the 3 gallon dispenser. I will never be without it.

What is a reverse osmosis water station ?

Respected Contributor
On 3/16/2015 Katey1261 said:On 3/15/2015 What is a reverse osmosis water station ?

A serious water purifier. Generally they have chambers with different kind of filters and filter much more than a regular water purifier. People with saltwater tanks buy them for their aquariums.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor
On 3/13/2015 chickenbutt said:

As usual - a lot of misinformation here. This doesn't emit toxic or noxious fumes until it reaches a certain temperature. I try to stay at 425F or lower and only medium to slightly above medium on the top of the stove. They used to say 450F but it looks like people are quoting 500F now. Either way, I still feel comfortable staying BELOW 450F.

If it were toxic at that point my bird would not be here all these years. I did a lot of (real) research before we rescued him, 11 years ago. Some of the stuff that you can read out there is just craziness.

But I have to say that if somebody isn't comfortable with it, and doesn't have complete control of the use of it (like your husband or kids cook), they they should just go ahead and avoid it. But it doesn't help to spread untruths about it like some people and some sites will.

Anybody who still DOES want to use conventional nonstick, I would say to just buy decent quality. Something like this thing QVC was selling yesterday and other cheapy cookware will have less integrous nonstick and it won't be worth it on any level. It will break down more easily. Plus, people who just have to blast the stove on high, use PAM in the nonstick pans, and put them in the dishwasher are going to cause the nonstick to break down.

Using it properly, you can use well made nonstick products for many years with no problems. Some of mine are 10+ years old and are still like new - no breakdown of the surface and no noxious or toxic fumes. I have severe asthma so I'd probably have additional problems if it were - not to mention that the bird wouldn't be living a healthy life all these years. My husband doesn't cook so I don't have to worry about variables.

I agree. I do prefer PTFE and PFOA free, but I'm still confused about the differences between them. People cooked with teflon at high temperatures for 50 plus years, and many are still living. I think I'm hearing the hype around this, and therefore, I'm not buying the pans now. I wanted the HSN TS yesterday, but it was PFOA free and not PFTE free. Again, I'm not even sure of the difference, but I've been told to stay away from both.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

Winamac1 I too am so concerned that I ordered the TS Ninja and after reading post here and just doing research online I turned around and cancelled my order I'm more concerned about what is being put in non stick and not just Teflon or PTFE. I have decided to pay more for healthy PTFE and Teflon Free. It annoys me someone on one of these boards called to see if Ninja was going to change their non stick and well they are not. I will not support this at all.