Trusted Contributor
On 3/13/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 3/12/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 3/12/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 3/12/2015 Teacups said:

I bought my Crockpot in 2006 now I found I should get rid of it....I don't have any nonstick pans. I bought bpa free water bottles now my friend says steel only. Is this right??

You don't have to buy stainless steel the PFOA free bottles are what you should have. I always used to buy Poland Springs water but not any longer. I invested in a ZERO water pitcher, they come in sizes, and come with a tester to check the contaminants in tap water and any bottled water. You would be shocked to find out what the readings I got from tap and bottled water.

I will look into these. Where did you get yours?

Which one did you purchase luvtoshopathome? Why not Brita or another Brand just curious.

The brand is called ZERO WATER. it is the only water pitcher system that removes all impurities from water and its BPA FREE PLASTIC unlike Brita or the others. It comes with a tester that you put in a glass of water from either your faucet or bottled water and it will tell you how many contaminants are in that water. I tested our tap water and it read 36, Dannon bottled water tested at 12 and Poland Springs tested at 7. The ZERO WATER SYSTEM tests at 0, which means that it has removed all those contaminants. When the tester reads 6, it's then time to buy a new filter. I have the large oblong one with a spout and bought it at BB&BEYOND for $39.99 plus used that 20% off coupon. It is the best testing water I ever had.

Thank you luvtoshopathome that is one of my favorite Stores. I have coupons.

Super Contributor
On 3/13/2015 only shops online said:

That cooker gets so hot, and is enclosed. I can't imagine how much of those toxins are transferring into the food. This is the reason I didn't replace my electric pressure cooker.

There is an electric pressure cooker made in Canada called Instant Pot. Website is same name plus dot com. At some point I am going to trash my PC's to replace with this stainless version. I'm grateful that somebody makes a PC without a nonstick coating. - Bird

Trusted Contributor
On 3/13/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 3/13/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 3/12/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 3/12/2015 Teacups said:

I bought my Crockpot in 2006 now I found I should get rid of it....I don't have any nonstick pans. I bought bpa free water bottles now my friend says steel only. Is this right??

You don't have to buy stainless steel the PFOA free bottles are what you should have. I always used to buy Poland Springs water but not any longer. I invested in a ZERO water pitcher, they come in sizes, and come with a tester to check the contaminants in tap water and any bottled water. You would be shocked to find out what the readings I got from tap and bottled water.

I will look into these. Where did you get yours?

Which one did you purchase luvtoshopathome? Why not Brita or another Brand just curious.

The brand is called ZERO WATER. it is the only water pitcher system that removes all impurities from water and its BPA FREE PLASTIC unlike Brita or the others. It comes with a tester that you put in a glass of water from either your faucet or bottled water and it will tell you how many contaminants are in that water. I tested our tap water and it read 36, Dannon bottled water tested at 12 and Poland Springs tested at 7. The ZERO WATER SYSTEM tests at 0, which means that it has removed all those contaminants. When the tester reads 6, it's then time to buy a new filter. I have the large oblong one with a spout and bought it at BB&BEYOND for $39.99 plus used that 20% off coupon. It is the best testing water I ever had.

Thank you luvtoshopathome that is one of my favorite Stores. I have coupons.

Your very welcome Katey. Unfortunately it is one of my favorite stores, I go in to pick up one thing and leave with bags full of different things and, of course, some nail polish and other makeup.
Valued Contributor
I read if you don't cook over 500, it isn't dangerous. When steaming, would the temp go over 500? Also, it seems the steamer insert could scratch the bottom. I guess the kitchen experts on QVC aren't up on the info. However, Wolfgang on HSN sold over 100,000 small rice cookers that weren't PFOA free.
Honored Contributor

I personally have to wonder how much of the PFOA information is hype/scare tactics to sell 'newer and improved' products.

I'm not saying that there isn't some chemicals in the old nonstick, and should probably be avoided or used minimally, and the same for the new, but just how much exposure does it take for it to be at a dangerous level.

If someone uses a nonstick skillet, say a couple times a week, is that really enough exposure for health risks?

I don't know, just questioning, and guessing that it is probably, if used sparingly and correctly, not going to be the death of us all.

Valued Contributor
Mominohio, I was wondering the same thing.
Respected Contributor
On 3/13/2015 mominohio said:

I personally have to wonder how much of the PFOA information is hype/scare tactics to sell 'newer and improved' products.

I'm not saying that there isn't some chemicals in the old nonstick, and should probably be avoided or used minimally, and the same for the new, but just how much exposure does it take for it to be at a dangerous level.

If someone uses a nonstick skillet, say a couple times a week, is that really enough exposure for health risks?

I don't know, just questioning, and guessing that it is probably, if used sparingly and correctly, not going to be the death of us all.

There's so many other things that have nonstick and no one talks about them I also wonder. Curling irons, hair dryers, humidifiers, heaters, have nonstick coatings and I never see anything about them.

I have used nonstick as long as I can remember. I've never heated them on high or burned anything in them. I've always had birds as well and never worried about them.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I'm going with the ceramic nonstick or stainless when I buy new cookware. Hard anodized is ok--some questions on the safety of aluminum which the hard ano is but if it wasn't scratched it would be ok. I And the teflon (old school term) is what kills birds and other small creatures as well as a cancer concern too, when it flakes off or gets too hot. And I drink from stainless steel bottles ---nothing in plastic bottles no matter what. I think you would be surprised at how high a temp these pans get as we cook on a much higher heat than is really necessary.

Trusted Contributor

I find so many people posting things abbot PTFE and PFOA (and aluminum) not because of actual knowledge or understanding but because of a lack of basic knowledge found in a high school chemistry class. People confuse the substances and make claims because of things they have heard or read online.

I prefer good quality stainless cookware for most applications along with well-seasoned carbon steel skillets for eggs. This is due to performance only -- not for any other reason.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/13/2015 wagirl said:

I'm going with the ceramic nonstick or stainless when I buy new cookware. Hard anodized is ok--some questions on the safety of aluminum which the hard ano is but if it wasn't scratched it would be ok. I And the teflon (old school term) is what kills birds and other small creatures as well as a cancer concern too, when it flakes off or gets too hot. And I drink from stainless steel bottles ---nothing in plastic bottles no matter what. I think you would be surprised at how high a temp these pans get as we cook on a much higher heat than is really necessary.

I'm with you on this with one exception I plan on purchasing the Cuisinart 3 in 1 Multi Cooker made without Teflon. I drink out of my Steel Contigo Mugs.