Trusted Contributor

I wanted to get feedback on this. These chemicals are in some non stick cookware. Does it matter you if your non stick contains these? some say it only effects you if it is heated over 500 degrees. I read it can be harmful in you breathe in these fumes. What do you think?

Trusted Contributor
Those non-stick pans are completely unhealthy no matter what temperature. They are known to cause cancer and kill birds. If they get scratched and some of the coating starts to peel off, all I can say is you just better throw it right in the trash. This also goes for plastic water bottles and plastic containers. And you should never put any type of plastic container or dish in the microwave, which also affects your health. Look got BPA free bottles and containers.
Valued Contributor

I bought my Crockpot in 2006 now I found I should get rid of it....I don't have any nonstick pans. I bought bpa free water bottles now my friend says steel only. Is this right??

Trusted Contributor
On 3/12/2015 luvtoshopathome said: Those non-stick pans are completely unhealthy no matter what temperature. They are known to cause cancer and kill birds. If they get scratched and some of the coating starts to peel off, all I can say is you just better throw it right in the trash. This also goes for plastic water bottles and plastic containers. And you should never put any type of plastic container or dish in the microwave, which also affects your health. Look got BPA free bottles and containers.

I agree with you. I purchased the Ninja last night. When I found out it contained these chemicals I decided to cancel. I got a lot of flack for talking about these chemicals. As long as they make these products and sell so many I doubt a change to not use these chemicals will continue. I think I will go with a non deceiving company like Cuisinart. They have a 3 in 1 Multi Cooker that is non stick that isn't Teflon or harmful.

Cuisinart non stick is: Whitford Quantum 2 is internally reinforced with a special blend of diverse ceramic materials. It provides a wider window of application tolerances and is more "user friendly". While the adhesion remains outstanding, Quantum2 has a smoother surface appearance and has high gloss. In addition, this system has superb abrasion resistance and outstanding nonstick performance.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/12/2015 Teacups said:

I bought my Crockpot in 2006 now I found I should get rid of it....I don't have any nonstick pans. I bought bpa free water bottles now my friend says steel only. Is this right??

You don't have to buy stainless steel the PFOA free bottles are what you should have. I always used to buy Poland Springs water but not any longer. I invested in a ZERO water pitcher, they come in sizes, and come with a tester to check the contaminants in tap water and any bottled water. You would be shocked to find out what the readings I got from tap and bottled water.
Trusted Contributor
On 3/12/2015 luvtoshopathome said:

You don't have to buy stainless steel the PFOA free bottles are what you should have. I always used to buy Poland Springs water but not any longer. I invested in a ZERO water pitcher, they come in sizes, and come with a tester to check the contaminants in tap water and any bottled water. You would be shocked to find out what the readings I got from tap and bottled water.

I will look into these. Where did you get yours?

Trusted Contributor
On 3/12/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 3/12/2015 luvtoshopathome said: Those non-stick pans are completely unhealthy no matter what temperature. They are known to cause cancer and kill birds. If they get scratched and some of the coating starts to peel off, all I can say is you just better throw it right in the trash. This also goes for plastic water bottles and plastic containers. And you should never put any type of plastic container or dish in the microwave, which also affects your health. Look got BPA free bottles and containers.

I agree with you. I purchased the Ninja last night. When I found out it contained these chemicals I decided to cancel. I got a lot of flack for talking about these chemicals. As long as they make these products and sell so many I doubt a change to not use these chemicals will continue. I think I will go with a non deceiving company like Cuisinart. They have a 3 in 1 Multi Cooker that is non stick that isn't Teflon or harmful.

Cuisinart non stick is: Whitford Quantum 2 is internally reinforced with a special blend of diverse ceramic materials. It provides a wider window of application tolerances and is more "user friendly". While the adhesion remains outstanding, Quantum2 has a smoother surface appearance and has high gloss. In addition, this system has superb abrasion resistance and outstanding nonstick performance.

Good for you! That is the exact reason I didn't purchase the Ninja TSV last night. Wouldn't use anything with that nonstick coating because I don't want to be ingesting those chemicals. I can't believe that they didn't make it PFOA, PTFE free especially since they raved about making it so much better than the Ninja3. People need to be more aware about how dangerous these nonstick surfaces they are buying really are.
Trusted Contributor

Which one did you purchase luvtoshopathome? Why not Brita or another Brand just curious.

Trusted Contributor

Good for you! That is the exact reason I didn't purchase the Ninja TSV last night. Wouldn't use anything with that nonstick coating because I don't want to be ingesting those chemicals. I can't believe that they didn't make it PFOA, PTFE free especially since they raved about making it so much better than the Ninja3. People need to be more aware about how dangerous these nonstick surfaces they are buying really are.

I called "Ninja" about a year ago to find out if they had any plans to make the cooker with a chemical free interior. They said no, but would forward my suggestion. I was hopeful that the new Ninja3 would have either a ceramic nonstick or stainless interior. I mean, how hard is it to use a little Brillo to clean stainless. I do it with my stainless cookware all of the time.

That cooker gets so hot, and is enclosed. I can't imagine how much of those toxins are transferring into the food. This is the reason I didn't replace my electric pressure cooker.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

Which one did you purchase luvtoshopathome? Why not Brita or another Brand just curious.

The brand is called ZERO WATER. it is the only water pitcher system that removes all impurities from water and its BPA FREE PLASTIC unlike Brita or the others. It comes with a tester that you put in a glass of water from either your faucet or bottled water and it will tell you how many contaminants are in that water. I tested our tap water and it read 36, Dannon bottled water tested at 12 and Poland Springs tested at 7. The ZERO WATER SYSTEM tests at 0, which means that it has removed all those contaminants. When the tester reads 6, it's then time to buy a new filter. I have the large oblong one with a spout and bought it at BB&BEYOND for $39.99 plus used that 20% off coupon. It is the best testing water I ever had.