Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,354
Registered: ‎03-21-2010
On 3/13/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 3/13/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 3/13/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 3/12/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 3/12/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 3/12/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 3/12/2015 Teacups said:

I bought my Crockpot in 2006 now I found I should get rid of it....I don't have any nonstick pans. I bought bpa free water bottles now my friend says steel only. Is this right??

You don't have to buy stainless steel the PFOA free bottles are what you should have. I always used to buy Poland Springs water but not any longer. I invested in a ZERO water pitcher, they come in sizes, and come with a tester to check the contaminants in tap water and any bottled water. You would be shocked to find out what the readings I got from tap and bottled water.

I will look into these. Where did you get yours?

Which one did you purchase luvtoshopathome? Why not Brita or another Brand just curious.

The brand is called ZERO WATER. it is the only water pitcher system that removes all impurities from water and its BPA FREE PLASTIC unlike Brita or the others. It comes with a tester that you put in a glass of water from either your faucet or bottled water and it will tell you how many contaminants are in that water. I tested our tap water and it read 36, Dannon bottled water tested at 12 and Poland Springs tested at 7. The ZERO WATER SYSTEM tests at 0, which means that it has removed all those contaminants. When the tester reads 6, it's then time to buy a new filter. I have the large oblong one with a spout and bought it at BB&BEYOND for $39.99 plus used that 20% off coupon. It is the best testing water I ever had.

Thank you luvtoshopathome that is one of my favorite Stores. I have coupons.

Your very welcome Katey. Unfortunately it is one of my favorite stores, I go in to pick up one thing and leave with bags full of different things and, of course, some nail polish and other makeup.

I too go in there for one item and next thing I know I have this big bag. I ca be in there for quite sometime too.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,271
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

As usual - a lot of misinformation here. This doesn't emit toxic or noxious fumes until it reaches a certain temperature. I try to stay at 425F or lower and only medium to slightly above medium on the top of the stove. They used to say 450F but it looks like people are quoting 500F now. Either way, I still feel comfortable staying BELOW 450F.

If it were toxic at that point my bird would not be here all these years. I did a lot of (real) research before we rescued him, 11 years ago. Some of the stuff that you can read out there is just craziness.

But I have to say that if somebody isn't comfortable with it, and doesn't have complete control of the use of it (like your husband or kids cook), they they should just go ahead and avoid it. But it doesn't help to spread untruths about it like some people and some sites will.

Anybody who still DOES want to use conventional nonstick, I would say to just buy decent quality. Something like this thing QVC was selling yesterday and other cheapy cookware will have less integrous nonstick and it won't be worth it on any level. It will break down more easily. Plus, people who just have to blast the stove on high, use PAM in the nonstick pans, and put them in the dishwasher are going to cause the nonstick to break down.

Using it properly, you can use well made nonstick products for many years with no problems. Some of mine are 10+ years old and are still like new - no breakdown of the surface and no noxious or toxic fumes. I have severe asthma so I'd probably have additional problems if it were - not to mention that the bird wouldn't be living a healthy life all these years. My husband doesn't cook so I don't have to worry about variables.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,178
Registered: ‎09-02-2010

I'm thinking if someone cooks something on high in a SS pan and burns it, it won't be great for the household either.

Oscar is 20+

Oscar

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,271
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Is that your boy, Deb? He's beautiful! My guy is 17 and a half, but we got him when he was 5 and a half.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,178
Registered: ‎09-02-2010
On 3/13/2015 chickenbutt said:

Is that your boy, Deb? He's beautiful! My guy is 17 and a half, but we got him when he was 5 and a half.

Yes, he's a hybrid. Scarlet and Greenwing. My friend owns a pet store so I get a lot of 'rescues' I rehome some and keep some.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,826
Registered: ‎08-08-2010
On 3/13/2015 KYToby said:

I find so many people posting things abbot PTFE and PFOA (and aluminum) not because of actual knowledge or understanding but because of a lack of basic knowledge found in a high school chemistry class. People confuse the substances and make claims because of things they have heard or read online.

I prefer good quality stainless cookware for most applications along with well-seasoned carbon steel skillets for eggs. This is due to performance only -- not for any other reason.

I won't be able to remember where I found this info, but in searching the net one time about the 'safest' type of cooking pans, I came across some information that was stating the non stick and aluminum things we have all heard, but was also questioning the safety of stainless. They listed another metal (I wish I could recall the name, one of the high dollar metals) that they considered the most safe for heating and not transferring toxins.

I always thought I was safe with all the old Revere Ware stainless I used, but according to that piece, maybe not as safe as I thought!

Again, probably not going to be then end of us, using stainless steel either, it's just kind of nuts how everything is now bad for us in some fashion or another.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,178
Registered: ‎09-02-2010

In the olden days people cooked in cast iron and didn't even rinse them. My uncle just scraped out the food and ran a paper towel around the pans. I'm sure that's unsanitary. None of us died tho.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,354
Registered: ‎03-21-2010
On 3/13/2015 mominohio said:
On 3/13/2015 KYToby said:

I find so many people posting things abbot PTFE and PFOA (and aluminum) not because of actual knowledge or understanding but because of a lack of basic knowledge found in a high school chemistry class. People confuse the substances and make claims because of things they have heard or read online.

I prefer good quality stainless cookware for most applications along with well-seasoned carbon steel skillets for eggs. This is due to performance only -- not for any other reason.

I won't be able to remember where I found this info, but in searching the net one time about the 'safest' type of cooking pans, I came across some information that was stating the non stick and aluminum things we have all heard, but was also questioning the safety of stainless. They listed another metal (I wish I could recall the name, one of the high dollar metals) that they considered the most safe for heating and not transferring toxins.

I always thought I was safe with all the old Revere Ware stainless I used, but according to that piece, maybe not as safe as I thought!

Again, probably not going to be then end of us, using stainless steel either, it's just kind of nuts how everything is now bad for us in some fashion or another.

I wonder if it might be Titanium?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,826
Registered: ‎08-08-2010
On 3/13/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 3/13/2015 mominohio said:
On 3/13/2015 KYToby said:

I find so many people posting things abbot PTFE and PFOA (and aluminum) not because of actual knowledge or understanding but because of a lack of basic knowledge found in a high school chemistry class. People confuse the substances and make claims because of things they have heard or read online.

I prefer good quality stainless cookware for most applications along with well-seasoned carbon steel skillets for eggs. This is due to performance only -- not for any other reason.

I won't be able to remember where I found this info, but in searching the net one time about the 'safest' type of cooking pans, I came across some information that was stating the non stick and aluminum things we have all heard, but was also questioning the safety of stainless. They listed another metal (I wish I could recall the name, one of the high dollar metals) that they considered the most safe for heating and not transferring toxins.

I always thought I was safe with all the old Revere Ware stainless I used, but according to that piece, maybe not as safe as I thought!

Again, probably not going to be then end of us, using stainless steel either, it's just kind of nuts how everything is now bad for us in some fashion or another.

I wonder if it might be Titanium?

It might be. Sounds familiar, but without trying to find the sources again, I couldn't be sure.

Do they make cookware out of Titanium? Yes, I just googled, they do, and expensive, too.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,647
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
On 3/13/2015 wagirl said:

I'm going with the ceramic nonstick or stainless when I buy new cookware. Hard anodized is ok--some questions on the safety of aluminum which the hard ano is but if it wasn't scratched it would be ok. I And the teflon (old school term) is what kills birds and other small creatures as well as a cancer concern too, when it flakes off or gets too hot. And I drink from stainless steel bottles ---nothing in plastic bottles no matter what. I think you would be surprised at how high a temp these pans get as we cook on a much higher heat than is really necessary.