Honored Contributor

Re: KITCHENAID JUST LAUNCHED ITS NEWEST APPLIANCE

I cook rice in a pot on the stove per the instructions.  Different rices vary.  However, the instructions for wild rice often claim the preferred method is a rice cooker which would explain why it never comes out right when I try to make it on the stove.

We don't eat a lot of rice so a rice cooker doesn't make sense for me.

Honored Contributor

My DD got a Zoji brand rice cooker about 10+ years ago--it just gave up the ghost a few months ago. We used that thing at least 2x a week. DD is very sad as those appliances are pretty pricy too. I think hers was a small model and it would have been over $150 to replace. It cooked the various rices to prefection. Now I cook rice in my Instant Pot pressure cooker--comes out great.

Honored Contributor

We don't eat enough rice.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought an Aroma rice cooker a couple years ago (model ARC 914SBD) from Amazon. It cost about $30.

I love this appliance. After I started using it, my reaction was, "Where have you been all my life?!"

It makes consistently good rice, and it's so easy to use. It can take a little experimenting with rice/water ratio for different types of rice (long grain, basmati, jasmine). Once that's settled, it makes perfect rice again and again. 

I find it hard to make rice on an electric stove. Once the rice & water comes to a boil, and I turn down the heat to low, the burner doesn't go down to a simmer for awhile. I had to babysit the rice, moving the pot partially off of the burner until it reached the right temp for a simmer. If left alone, it would boil over. The rice cooker solved that.

What I've concluded about rice cookers is that they really do work. And you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good one.

Esteemed Contributor

wow, really?  I don't eat enough rice in a year to justify another specific appliance and certainly not for that price.

for those who can/will use it,  have fun!

Valued Contributor

I have a rice cooker that I got years ago for around $15.  Works great.  But once I learned that rinsing rice really well makes great rice on the stove I don't use it as much but do use it as a slow cooker for small things.  That works great too.

Honored Contributor

I have been using Wolfgang Puck mini rice cooker since I bought if from HSN years ago. It makes up to 3 cups rice that we like. It's so easy.

We also like Lundberg organic rice. Have also tried Mahatma organic rice we like too. 

Sometimes DH uses the day old rice to make fried rice with that's good.